Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I need some basic advice.

Last week someone hit me on my way to class. Totalled my beloved 2000 forester S with 180,000 miles on it (still running like a champ). Insurance just let me know that they consider the vehicle totalled. I have yet to find out what they will give me for it. Needless to say I am getting another forester, case closed.

I need advice as to what to look for next. Am I going to notice a difference between the L and S versions (2000 2001?). I am in the Savannah GA area so there are very few Subarus period. I noticed a 2001 H4 X with 168,000 miles in the area for probably what they are going to give me. I cant post the url, sorry. I could not find any info on this model. I am a student and do not expect to be able to put any money into purchasing something nicer.

I learned of this forum when I needed new springs and struts and could not afford to pay my mechanic. Upon lurking for a while I got some KYB-GR2's and went with stock springs. I was very happy to be able to do it myself.

This was my first car, and this is my first time dealing with anything "totalled," so any advice about the process and potential options would be appreciated. Because I was not at fault, the other drivers insurance is covering everything.

major thanks in advance

ken

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,378 Posts
Don't forget the timing belt/idler/seals, etc need changed at 105K miles. Also pre 2003 Foresters tend to need head gaskets.

Welcome

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Welcome, sorry to hear of the demise of your Forester.

Have you considered going outside the Savannah area to find your replacement Subie? Maybe you can talk a friend into a friendly road-trip to pick up a car. Seems like a lot of our members have made the drive/flight to pick a Forester up that they couldn't find locally.

Maybe try a search on AutoTrader with a 100 mile or greater radius and see what pops up.

As adc said, plus plan a budget for some maintenance, if no records of service are available.

Keep us posted here and Good Luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone,

Its kinda crazy but I went to autotrader and looked at a radius of 100 miles from the Savannah area and only came away with one hit under 7k, which is well above what I think I will get. Luckily that vehicle is only 30 miles away. Its a weird posting, they call it a 2001 forester H4 X, but it looks like subaru did not start using the X designation till 2003.

Can anyone say something about the differences between the L & S or X & XS versions. Are they consistently comparable or is it a year to year difference? The main difference my "research" has shown is the use of a different rear differential and rear disc brakes on the S. If I were to downgrade say to an L would I notice it?

Ken

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Subaru Research Site- specs, prices, options, 2011, 2010, 2009.. Outback, Legacy, Forester, Impreza, Tribeca is a great site for comparing the features of the Forester models.
As far as brakes are concened, I think you'll be fine unless you're really late on the brakes or taking some track days. For everyday driving you probably wouldn't notice a difference.

If you are looking at an L or X model, they came with plenty of standard features, the only thing that I would miss is the heated seats of the S or XS, and those you can add after your purchase from HeatedSeatKits.com - The Future is Warm

Don't forget to look around the dealers (both Subaru and others), sometimes they don't advertise on AutoTrader, so maybe check out some of the dealers websites for pre-owned Foresters.

Keep looking

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks all,

I'll post up more questions when I have them

and yes heated seats have really been a blessing in the past.

thanks

ken

1 - 7 of 7 Posts