4. Decent wear

For autoX, drag, occasional track day
Don't care about road noise

Which tire has the most attributes?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,581 Posts
It's tough because 3 and 4 kind of don't go together, except in the case of Michelin's, which are not the lightest tires around. If you change the order of priorities, Michelin Pilot Sports are nice.

·
Registered
2018 XT Touring CVT
1,294 Posts
For weight, you may need to compensate by going to lighter wheels.
You also need to give up decent wear. Then you have many choices.

·
Registered
2007 XT - 5MT ELH, EWG, E85, Kinugawa TD06SL 20G 8cm
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have removed the decent wear priority, need a light tire that performs like STi Brigestones but not as heavy, IIRC 27-29lbs...

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Another vote for Michelin Pilot Sports. Even the all season versions outstick my former summer tires (BFG G-Force Sport).

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,760 Posts
I'm in season 2 with my RE01R's which have now been replaced by even sticker RE011R's. They stick great, have very good wet traction, they autox very well (buddy with an STI got better grip with them than his worn RA1 track tires) and they are wearing very well considering the spirited use I get out of them. They are easily goign to last this summer as well, much better wear than my last set of RS2's. Noise wise they aren't bad at all, no noiser than any other tires IMO.

A very good tire that excels everywhere.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Are you looking for a track type tire or something thats going to be daily use with a little track use thrown in?

I'd probably go with star specs or the tires that legacy mentioned if you want something truly competitive.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^Track day only once a year but I want something very sticky and far from mushy, and light, trying for low 12s on 1/4 mile.

Will look into the Michelin Pilot Sport and the RE011.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
What size are you looking for? 245/45/17?

The pilot sports aren't even in the same class as the star specs or re11/re01r. Pilot sports are a daily summer tire, the star specs/re11 are basically track tires. What are you going to be using them for most of the time? Tires are so hard to pick out as there as so many choices and its pretty hard to gauge them against each other.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,760 Posts
^Track day only once a year but I want something very sticky and far from mushy, and light, trying for low 12s on 1/4 mile.

Will look into the Michelin Pilot Sport and the RE011.
Then buy the RE011's. The Pilot Sports are a nice tire but the RE's will kick their butt performance wise in every category.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
Here is some tire advice for auto-cross which should translate nicely to the drag strip provided you don't muck up your gear ratio with so much smaller a tire that you end up with an extra shift which may increase your ET, good luck.

FAST - Tire Tips

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is some tire advice for auto-cross which should translate nicely to the drag strip provided you don't muck up your gear ratio with so much smaller a tire that you end up with an extra shift which may increase your ET, good luck.

FAST - Tire Tips
uhmm, food for thought, I never thought of that, I've always associated smaller diameter to faster drag times.

Will have to figure out if I can run the 1/4 mile on 4th gear running the slightly smaller diameter 235/40-18.

Tire Size Comparison vs Stock

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
235/40-18 3.7in 12.7in 25.4in 79.8in 794 0.0%
215/55-17 4.7in 13.2in 26.3in 82.7in 767 3.6%

1 - 15 of 15 Posts