Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2002 S
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Timing belt Install

I need to replace the timing belt, water pump, rollers, etc... on my 2002 Subaru Forester 2.5L n/a. I am looking for a good place I can buy the complete kit. Any suggestions? Also, please post any helpful links for DIY.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2002 S
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the Video Link!

I don't trust the kits on e-bay. I want to make sure that I am buying from a trusted source who stands behind their products.

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,420 Posts
Belt is good enough. I would change the front seal on the crank. The dealer told me I didn't have to change the water pump, pulleys or anything like that. If the tensioner wasn't leaking, it was ok too!!!è

Just get a belt from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
Belt is good enough. I would change the front seal on the crank. The dealer told me I didn't have to change the water pump, pulleys or anything like that. If the tensioner wasn't leaking, it was ok too!!!è

Just get a belt from the dealer.
Maybe the dealer wants to see you again?

The tensioners and rollers don't last forever, be safe rather than sorry, you won't know when your tensioner or roller will quit. That type of expense to repair can be easily avoided.

My ex-girlfriend is still driving what was my old 99 Forester with over 340,000 kilometers, the timing belt and assorted parts have been replaced 3 times, most recently when the head gaskets went, to be safe.. I got to see that the rollers and tensioners were already worn and sticking somewhat. I'd replace the water pump at this time too.

Check out our Vendor section, Jackie from Annapolis Subaru can fix you up properly as she has many members. Personally I'd stick with OEM parts.

Keep us up to date with your progress.

Update your profile with a location, you might find someone close by with recommendations or willing to help. While you're in there edit your Signature and add vehicle info like year/model/transmission that way it'll show up everytime you post.

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,752 Posts
Definitely DO replace pulleys (bearings wear out - some of mine were almost gone at 70K) and tensioner.

·
Registered
2002 S
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went to the dealer...

and they told me all I had to replace was the belt and the tensioner. I said I wanted to do the water pump at the same time and the guy shrugged and said most of the guys don't do the pumps until they fail. Anyway, for the belt, tensioner, and water pump grand total out the door about $412. I am doing this on a budget because:

I bought this for a fantastic deal due a bad transmission and it needs a front differential. I was quoted between $1,500 and $2,500 by a shop I trust.

So, since the car has 118,000 miles and I do not have any previous maintenance records, I want to do the t-belt and related components as well.

I am going to attempt to do the t-belt myself to save $$$. I have rebuilt a Toyota 22RE before, along with a lot of work on an older 82 CJ-5 I restored. That was years ago. I will keep everyone updated as I progress.

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,420 Posts
I know a Sub tech and he told me he has seen 2 water pumps fail before 310 000 miles (500 000km) in his career.

I've seen the bearings for the idlers. They are massive and not much load is on them. I checked mine and they were ok.

·
Registered
2002 S
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know a Sub tech and he told me he has seen 2 water pumps fail before 310 000 miles (500 000km) in his career.

I've seen the bearings for the idlers. They are massive and not much load is on them. I checked mine and they were ok.

So, are you saying only do the belt and the idler pulley?

·
Road Warrior
1995 Legacy L SW 5 speed manual
412 Posts
For what it's worth.....

I would replace the timing belt, tensioner, all the pulleys, all the seals (cam and crank), the waterpump and the thermostat and gasket.

I purchased a timing belt/waterpump kit on eBay and was happy with all the parts except for the timing belt. I then purchased an OEM timing belt at the dealer. Even doing that I came out many dollars ahead.

THe waterpump I got was a GMP and the idlers, pulleys and tensioner were OEM manufactuer parts.

I bought mine from...performancepart.... on eBay.

Bob

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
118k is kinda a toss-up at to how much you do, although i would say don't keep driving it for months waiting to do headgaskets too, for example.

my thinking is i want a reliable car and want to limit working on it at major points and having to essentially do the same thing twice.

replacing a timing belt at around 100k, i would only replace idlers or water pump if they seemed bad or there was some reason to. this is based on figuring that somewhere by 140-160k that i'll pull everything out to do headgaskets and replace all that other stuff then.

i got one '00 with the timing belt done before i bought it. wife totaled before having to do anything else.

the other '00 i did the timing belt about 95k. coolant looked in good shape when i bought it at 85k or so. i thought i heard some extra noise and checked the idlers and tensioner. i wound up replacing an idler i thought was suspect and sure enough, it was quieter. for some reason that idler only had a single-row bearing. if i had kept it instead of trading it i would have probably done headgaskets and replacing water pump idlers, etc over last christmas at about 140k mi.

·
Registered
2002 S
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quick update: I am going to have the transmission rebuilt and do the t-belt in the summer. I had a subaru mechanic check the condition of the belt and he thought it looked like it was done recently. When the time comes, I found a kit online at Bap Geon that comes with the water pump, Conti belt, idlers, cam seals, and other components all for about $350. I have a friend here who swears by them and he goes there for all his import parts.

·
Registered
2002 S
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bad News Bears!!!

I had another shop peak at the t-belt and they said it has cracking on the outside of the belt, not good. So, this weekend, I am going to attempt to do the belt. This is not a good time with V-day so close, but, if anyone lives in Souther Colorado, I could use the help!!!

Any one with must read tips before I tackle this, please post!!!

·
Registered
2002 S
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I am officially writing with dirty hands. I got the radiator off, most of the timing cover, and tried to take the spark plugs out. One of the spark plug boot/cap thing was very oily. Does this mean that I need to replace the valve cover gasket?

I am staring at the crank pulley and seriously thinking of "bumping" it off.

I bought a t-belt kit through Bap Geon. It has conti tech belts, and I don't know what brand tensioner. Since I am doing this on the cheap, I am going to go with it.

Well, A few things broke taking the drive belts off. My brother was helping me out and the driver side drive belt tensioner broke. He did not know he had to loosen the bolt first before trying to loosen the drive belt.

Oh, well, off to the you pull it yard...

So, what I need to still get: More coolant, tranny fluid, valve cover gasket?, anything else...???

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
There are spark plug tube seals that keep oil from getting into the tubes and fit under the valve covers on the ends of the tubes. I think you pretty much have to get these from the dealer. It's good to smear a small dab of grease around the lip of them before you put the vavle cover back on to allow for movement. And don't forget the dielectric grease for the spark plug boots too.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts