Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
98 forester auto
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight was my first night driving
the subaru in the snow. Wow was it awful. The pervious owner has some cheap walmart tires on them. What are some good all season tires that are good in snow but will work in rain and during the summer as well? I do not really want to have to have an extra set of tires just for the snow if I do not have too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2003 FXS Auto
107 Posts
I never go cheap on tires. TireRack.com is a great source of info.

Good snow tires make a Forester nearly unstoppable. I have Michelin X-Ice xi2 tires and recommend them highly.

·
Registered
2006 2006 & 2010 Forester automatic
2,245 Posts
Although another poster likened them to "sucking the big one"...

We have the Yok Avid ENVigor on the '10. This their 3rd winter. Not quite what they were the last two...but better than the craptastics that were chucked under the '06(WestLake SP06. Talk about a sucky tire...oh well)

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
Tonight was my first night driving
the subaru in the snow. Wow was it awful. The pervious owner has some cheap walmart tires on them. What are some good all season tires that are good in snow but will work in rain and during the summer as well? I do not really want to have to have an extra set of tires just for the snow if I do not have too.
When you find these magical tires, please let me know so that I can get a set, too. :raspberry: :icon_wink::icon_biggrin:

There really is no such magical tire - at least not with current technology.

Your use of "good" and "will work" are key relative statements here - and you'll need to really clarify them. What's more, you'll need to understand that tires are a compromise, and you'll need to make a decision one way or another, particularly if you are using only one set of tires.

Try running the aforementioned Xi2 in the summer, you won't be very happy. Back when the Xi2 was king, this Car & Driver points out very well the fallacy in believing that one tire can be the end-all in every scenario:

2009 Winter Tire Test - Comparison Tests

You need to pick your poison.

But before you do so, since this is your first time driving your Subaru in the snow, there's several things you need to check off on the list:

What's your actual tire pressures? If you have TPMS, just because the light isn't on doesn't mean that your pressures are anywhere near optimal for conditions. It may well be necessary for you to run different pressures in order to achieve your desired level of traction.

What's the tires' tread-depth? But before that, exactly what brand/make and model of tires are they?

Next, assuming that the previous owners cheaped-out on the tires, what's the likelihood that they also cheaped-out on maintenance? Does your suspension check out? Even with the best tires onboard, suspension faults and misalignment can well make those tires considerably less effective.

Finally, as a reality-check, what were the vehicles around you doing? Were they all going considerably slower than you - or were you being passed like you were standing still, and yet you still had traction issues.

----

While an "All Weather" tire can meet most of your criteria reasonably well, you'll need to realize that a big part of the equation in running a tire year-round is treadwear. If you put a lot of miles on your tires, be prepared to have a running "tire budget" so that you can change out the tires regularly to insure sufficient traction when you need it most. If this is the route you're thinking of, you'll want to read through my reply to the OP of this thread, and fully realize the compromises that I've painted:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/2792834-post10.html

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
winter tires

You need winter tires if you are going to drive in snow. Your AWD system will keep hunting for wheels with traction, and if none of them have any--because their rubber is not winter-rated--your snow-driving experiences will continue to be scary. Not to mention dangerous. BTDT.

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
Looking for a "good all season tire" is like looking for a good woman (or man) - you never know if they are right or not until it's too late. ;-/

Depending on much driving you have to do in snowy conditions, you may want to consider picking up a set of used wheels and buying some winter tires locally. If you have the ability to change wheels at home (and have the space to store the second set), this is truly your best option.

Our daughter drives an '10 Impreza and it is due for tires. She lives in Boston and I recommended these;

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...t+with+EcoPlus+Technology&partnum=055HR6PUREC

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,318 Posts
I use dedicated snows in winter, and I chose Hankook Optimo H727 for the rest of the year in large part due to their snow rating at Tire Rack. Here in New Hampshire one never knows when the first or last storm of the season is going to take place. Murphy's Law says it won't happen while your snows are on the car.

They've worked out fine on both cars, and they aren't very expensive.

·
Registered
2014 forester XT touring CVT
1,660 Posts
Best all season tires hands down are the conti DWS, sits stands for dry wet and snow! They are not a snow tire but the tread patters is very close to one! I have been running them for years with no issues at all

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
Best all season tires hands down are the conti DWS, sits stands for dry wet and snow! They are not a snow tire but the tread patters is very close to one! I have been running them for years with no issues at all
What kind of tread life have you been getting? I'm looking to use them when I replace the factory g95s.

·
Registered
2016 Ford RS & 2019 Subaru Descent
1,349 Posts
I vote these too. I am running Conti DWS 225/55/16 on my FXT. As you can see, sizing is a bit weird, otherwise a really good tire. At th very least, look these up to compare.

Family & friends have been using these for years on cars ranging from Cadillac STS, Honda Civic, Ford Flex, BMW 535 wagon and more. I have tried several all-seasons ranging from Good Year RSAs to Michelin Pilots to Bridgestone G009, & G019. Never had much of a problem, but was not enthusiastic either. Recently purchased Conti DWS for the FXT and they are good. Winter traction is decent, summer handling is good. Tire is quiet, good mpg & light weight. If you aren't using dedicated winters, I find these to be as good as the recommendations I received. Would buy again, most definitely based on my experience.

Tire rack is a great source, but discount tire is also worth a look. Each company offers discounts that vary by season/holiday. I got my tires shipped for $380 for (4). Discount had a $100 off (4) tires promotion which persuaded me to purchase at the time. Tire Rack also runs promotions that are competitive. Search both, if shopping over internet. Worst case it is a good comparison when shopping local.

Everyone is going to tell you to get snows, they are probably correct. For me & wife, DWS works well enough to recommend.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
Try running the aforementioned Xi2 in the summer, you won't be very happy.
Why would anyone run snow tires in the summer? Makes as much sense as running summer tires in winter.
Because the OP specifically asked for "All Seasons" that he could also use during the summer months:

What are some good all season tires that are good in snow but will work in rain and during the summer as well? I do not really want to have to have an extra set of tires just for the snow if I do not have too.
...but you recommended the Xi2.

Good snow tires make a Forester nearly unstoppable. I have Michelin X-Ice xi2 tires and recommend them highly.

·
Registered
2003 forester 2.0 xt at
698 Posts
If you cant afford having two sets of wheels. I would run winter studdless all year, rather then summers or "all season"... But performance/braking on dry or wet asfalt/pavement is bad on winters. I work with tires, but my english is not great... Just listen to Tsi+wrx.
Everything he says about tires are spot on.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
I don't mind having a second set if tires for just the snow I just don't like the tires on the car in general so I'll have to buy summer tires as well.
You can do a three-seasons setup with either "mild" summer tires (if you prefer more fun during the nice months) or relatively winter-capable "All-Seasons" (if you need some grace in terms of your schedule, in being able to get the vehicle to the tire-shop for the tire switch-over in the fall or if you do so yourself and need some extra time to play the decision), and run a set of winters.

Chicago and areas like it make the decision for a winter tire relatively hard:

If you live in a municipality where the roads are well-maintained, for example, it's well possible that unless your schedule take you on the roads before maintenance crews have had a chance to groom it, that you'd practically never see significant snowfall or even slush on the roadway, thereby making an aggressively winterized "All Season" or an "All Weather" tire the better overall choice, even in terms of winter driving.

However, if you live in or travel through areas where the roads are ill-groomed, seasonal storms can well put such tires - and even "Performance Winters" - to significant tests if not outright difficulties, and thereby make a "Studless Ice & Snow" tire or even studdable winters (note that you will not be able to run studs unless you have special dispensation from the authorities) a much more favorable choices even in light of the clear-pavement compromises of the former and the potential NVH concerns of the latter.

Yes, winter roads at their worst in places like Chicago are, well, pretty nasty...but look out of the window on any given day, and what's really on the roadways? Fresh powder? Hardpack and ice? or is it slush? or is it cleared and simply wet? No one tire can be best at it all, and that's not even throwing the other three seasons into the mix. :wink:

It's really all about how you'd like to bias the compromise: there's no right or wrong answers, only what choices better/best fit *YOUR* specific and unique needs. :smile:

·
Registered
98 forester auto
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you cant afford having two sets of wheels. I would run winter studdless all year, rather then summers or "all season"... But performance/braking on dry or wet asfalt/pavement is bad on winters. I work with tires, but my english is not great... Just listen to Tsi+wrx.
Everything he says about tires are spot on.
I can afford it just don't want to have two sets of tires if i don't have too.

I guess I'll have to find a second set of rims and a good set of tires I can throw on in winter and take of in spring.

·
Registered
2016 Ford RS & 2019 Subaru Descent
1,349 Posts
I can afford it just don't want to have two sets of tires if i don't have too.

I guess I'll have to find a second set of rims and a good set of tires I can throw on in winter and take of in spring.

This is your best possible option. Currently on my rwd sedan I run Bridgestone RE050A summer tires for half the year, then switch to the factory Good Year RSA all-season tires for winter months. I drive car maybe 1,000 miles over winter months, so I deal w/it. will swap the crappy factory tires for winters next year, as car's winter performance is deteriorating.

Seriously though, going from a RWD V8 sedan w/the RSA's to the Forester w/Conti DWS is eye opening. G8 gets around, but the DWS equipped Forester seems invincible. G8 might seem questionable to most folks here, but consider, I live in the USA where every other driver is texting behind the wheel, my car is probably among the safest you will encounter.

My 8 y/o son is helping type this to I have to use this. :starwars:

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
I don't mind having a second set if tires for just the snow...
Actually, "winter" tires are for more than just snow - they are also intended for better grip on cold and icy surfaces. Softer compounds that remain pliable at low temperature, tread design and even studs are all part of the mix. This is why they are called "winter tires" instead of "snow tires."

1 - 20 of 32 Posts