Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife and I are looking for a dog (preferably to rescue a dog in need). We have been to a few shelters and are looking on petfinder.com but if anyone in the Bay Area, or potentially California, knows of a sweet dog in need of a good home, please let me know.

I grew up with a golden retriever and golden lab. After those two dogs, its hard to think of owning something w/out those in their mix... but that's not to say I'm against other dogs.

Our preferences...
  • Preferably between 1 and 5 years old
  • Medium-sized, between 35-60 lbs
  • Not SUPER hyper; a dog that will go hiking, camping, play nice with others but still be happy to chill by the couch and likes to ride in the back of a Forester :biggrin:
  • Preferably house broken if I can be so bold
We live in a townhouse with a fenced space outside for the dog to do its duty. We plan to walk it twice daily for a good period of time and longer outings on the weekend.

Perhaps you know of someone or someone who knows someone... Feel free to PM me or reply here.

~Eric

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,784 Posts
Good for you.:banana:
I have 4 dogs,2 pythons and a cat and all are rescues.
Nobody should ever buy a dog,all it does is encourage the puppy mills.
To many out there needing a good home already.

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,097 Posts
Not sure if you've done this or not but my company sponsors shelters, I found this link on the site:

Find a Shelter, Search our Directory

Not sure if that will work or not. We got my mom a basset hound through second chance. From what I understand, Second chance people take animals from shelters and bring them into their homes and try to find families for them.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's Peaty, I'll give it a look.

We have been using petfinder.com as well as the websites for the local SPCAs and shelters.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks kyosho26. I hadn't seen some of those sites before. Will check out today

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,097 Posts
I think the shelter thing is a tax write off ;) But we donate a ton of food to the shelters AFAIK.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When my wife and I got married earlier this year, in lieu of a favor for the guests, we put a few notes on each table telling our guests that we decided to donate to the San Francisco SPCA instead of favors. We got lots of compliments from our guests :)

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After a few trips to different shelters, my wife and I happened upon Maggie at the San Francisco SPCA. A 2.5yr/old black Lab, she is very sweet and great on a leash and we fell in love with her. We took her home in the back of the XT and she loved it. Thanks for all the positive input and support!

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
651 Posts
Sweet. What a cutie . . . just keep in mind that EVERY dog from a shelter is 2 years old. It's kind of a joke at the dog park (Ft. Funston) where I walk my pooch every day. We've seen "two-year-old" dogs lose their baby teeth (should be about 6-9 months) and we've seen "two-year-old" dogs grow gray around the muzzle within a couple of years of adoption.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone. She is sweet and still adjusting to her new life. I'm sure it'll take her some time to feel totally comfortable with us.

We're looking for a vet in the Walnut Creek area if anyone has any suggestions on that too.

·
Registered
06 Mazdaspeed6
19 Posts
SPCA is the place to look. Not only are they a great place to find a great animal, but they are a strong political entity. They champion for animal rights and work in areas where civil and rescue's can't.

Any dog you get from there will come fixed, chipped, shot, healthy, and even comes with a lifetime warranty... if you ever need to, you can bring it back, no questions asked. Yup, word'd kinda funny, but the plain fact is they are 100% for the animals, and they go out of their wasy in the beginnig to actually convince you that you don't want an animal... most of them even make you wait a week to come back and pick up the dog as a cooldown period to make sure you really meant it and it wasn't an impulse thing.

Our 3yr old Beagle/Shepard mix we got as a puppy is one of the coolest dogs I've even known, and since he showed up after our cat was full-grown, the cat and him get along great. I donate to the SPCA yearly through the CFC, and would never go anywhere else for a pet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts