Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a project car a.k.a, dad doesn't want me to screw over the forester :chair: ... I found a 1986 Subaru XT turbo 4wd 5spd. Should I try and work on this, or are parts going to be tough to find? If you don't think I should get this car, please make a suggestion, I just want to work on a car...

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
That Leggy would be a better choice imo, even with the HG, or an early impreza (just make sure it's awd!!) parts are going to be way more available and better priced that trying to source XT parts..

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
No, definitely not an SVX, unless you have a money tree in the backyard. We finally sold ours (well, nearly gave it away) and cleansed ourselves from bad SVX juju. I'm done with that car, for good.

There are some on the SVX network who have made theirs into project cars, but the cost of parts and (sometimes needed) fabrication due to lack of aftermarket can be prohibitive.

I second the idea of an early 90's Miata. Great platform to start with, lightweight, and replacement parts are dirt cheap and plentiful. Paging stan_t, hehe...

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
:biggrin: I was waiting for Silke to chime in on the SVX,
to me they've always seemed like a great project, for someone else!

miata would be great if you are looking for straight fun/$, plus it's hard to beat a convertible when the sun is shining..

my interest right now is doing some local rally stuff so an impreza/legacy fits better for me.

·
Registered
2013 WRX hatchback 5mt
795 Posts
If you are willing to go outside of the Subaru family for a project vehicle, a Miata is a good one.

Easy to supercharge, fairly inexpensive to purchase, and are fun little cars.

·
Registered
2000 Forester
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, I'm an 18 yo high school/ college student, I'm NOT going to get a Miata, sorry. I'm going to go look at the legacy tomorrow. Hopefully the interior looks alright.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S w/AT
442 Posts
I want to get a project car a.k.a, dad doesn't want me to screw over the forester :chair: ... I found a 1986 Subaru XT turbo 4wd 5spd. Should I try and work on this, or are parts going to be tough to find? If you don't think I should get this car, please make a suggestion, I just want to work on a car...
If you want an easy to work on car that's going to be cheap to find parts for you, you won't be able to beat a 1955-84 Small Blcok Chevy. Say what you want about them today, but for 30 years everything was interchagable. Engines and Trannies can be easily swapped into any other car, same as the heads, cams, and even a lot of the cranks and pistons. Alternators and power steering pumps are all modular, as well. Between Monte Carlos, Chevelles, and Bel Airs, there are lots of options, and they are very inexpensive. Junk yards are full of great parts for them, as well.

Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts