Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru STI 6 Speed Manual
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a Forester XT 2004-2008. I am located near riverside Ca but willing to travel to Las Vegas or San Diego for the right car.

I am looking for one with less that 150k miles. If modded please provide receipts for mods to engine and any tunes.

I have 6k to spend (I know not a lot) if absolute need be and if worth it I may offer more.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@The Tinman Rides Again Ya I figured my budget would be hard to find much but it’s worth a shot. I saw this listing and it’s a beautiful car. I wish I had the money for it or I would take it in an instant. Unfortunately with a baby soon arriving I doubt I can meet the asking price. 😣

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT 5-Speed Manual
926 Posts
I agree with @bashfulbernie I think the only caveat is that there are often hidden costs in an older car that is inexpensive: eg - EJ’s tend to require occasional rebuilding and I think a lot of people tend to sell when they are getting closer to requiring a big overhaul. Not always but that is the risk IMO.

It seems like there have been many “I just bought an XT and it needs head gaskets” threads as of late hereabouts. That’s mostly where I think the danger lies.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Dmojica $5000-6000 is a workable number for a good runner, but not with a limit of 150000 miles.
These are 11 to 15 year old cars.
As I continue my search I’m starting to see your point. I have found an 04 auto with 159k and another 04 5speed with 20k on a rebuild with forged internals.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with @bashfulbernie I think the only caveat is that there are often hidden costs in an older car that is inexpensive: eg - EJ’s tend to require occasional rebuilding and I think a lot of people tend to sell when they are getting closer to requiring a big overhaul. Not always but that is the risk IMO.

It seems like there have been many “I just bought an XT and it needs head gaskets” threads as of late hereabouts. That’s mostly where I think the danger lies.
Ya that’s one thing I would like to avoid. Starting to consider the auto FXT till later on when I can get a 5spd and have some side cash just in case.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
11 Posts
If youre patient, you'll find one. Got mine last June for $6k bone stock with 135k in mileage. Plus side, its a 5-Speed and im the second owner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts