Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all! I'm new to the forum, but not to the Forester. I currently own a 1999 Forester L with ~130k miles. This past Friday, I managed to smash it into a light pole (snow related) and total it (in my opinion). As such, I need a new Forester. I'm looking for a 2003 or newer model and I'd like to keep the price under $8000. What year model would you recommend and what price should I expect to pay? I appreciate your help and I'm doing research on the side, but I thought that the experience of this forum could get me a step ahead. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
Welcome to a truly great forum. Sorry to hear about the Foresters demise:icon_sad:. With the research you're doing on the side I assume are sites like AutoTrader, Kiji etc. that'll give you an idea on pricing in your area, don't forget ebay and non-Subaru dealers that may have taken a trade-in. Consider something a little further from where you live if you spot something that looks good.

The SG series still have issues with head gaskets, so do a close inspection of the oil and coolant, if the engines cool you can usually use a hand held mirror and flashlight to inspect under the cylinder heads for any potential leaks. Also anything 100,000 and over will need the timing belt and assorted parts done, so that may give you some negotiating room.

Take a look at Subaru Research Site- specs, prices, options, 2011, 2010, 2009.. Outback, Legacy, Forester, Impreza, Tribeca for your specs on the models offered in various years, that might help which model trim you might want to be looking for. The standard X models are usually where the bargains start and you can always add things like aftermarket heated seats and alloy wheels later if you wish.

Good luck in your search, and don't forget to check the For Sale section in the forum

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information. I've been checking out the Subaru Research Site you mentioned and it's very helpful. So far I've been checking out all the usual internet sites (Cars.com, Autotrader, Craigslist) and have found some potential leads. Regarding the head gasket inspection, is there a guide somewhere in the forum for a non-gear head? Pictures would be great.

GA Forester: That's a nice looking car, but I have to find one in Colorado. Preferably within 100 miles of Denver. But thanks for looking.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a 2003 XS with 108k miles for $7995. It looks like it's in decent shape. Does this sound like a good deal?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found another Forester. 2004 XS with 94000 miles. The dealer is offering $9750 + tax but I'm going to try to get it for $9250. Does this sound like a reasonable price?

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,752 Posts
We might consider selling our '03 XS PPL auto, 90-something thousand miles, good condition (not great - a few small scratches and dents), platinum silver, gray leather. Definitely below $8000 :) Feel free to stop by and take a look (PM for info).

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
Congratulations, don't forget to stick around the forum to learn more about your new model Forester. We'll be expecting some pics sometimes soon.

Enjoy it

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've already used the forum to learn how to replace the clock back light and cruise control switch back light. I'll stick around for all the other tweaking I'm sure I will need to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts