Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Forester
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ma looking at parting out my forester as the engine is really dead but I was wondering what I would do with the left over car once I have sold all the parts I can. Do you guys know if junk yards take cars that are mostly not there?

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Scrap ayrds will, but maybe not a junkyard. If they do, it won't be for much money; just what they can scrap it for. How rusty is the bottom of it? I may be interested in lots of parts.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,250 Posts
Engines can be replaced. What condition is the rest of the car, has it ever been wrecked, rust?

·
Registered
98 Forester
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Body is in great shape, It's not been in a wreck and only has a couple of very minor dings and a touch of rust. The reason I am looking at parting it out is I don't really have the space or time currently to do the work on it to replace the engine and was looking at using the funds to put towards another Foz.

If I found somewhere that I could park it until I had the time to work on it would it be better if I repalce the Engine and where would I find one? Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Part it out, then find a sign for someone who "buys unwanted cars".

A friend of mine got $500 for a shell.

·
Registered
01 Forester 5MT
136 Posts
The Body is in great shape, It's not been in a wreck and only has a couple of very minor dings and a touch of rust. The reason I am looking at parting it out is I don't really have the space or time currently to do the work on it to replace the engine and was looking at using the funds to put towards another Foz.

If I found somewhere that I could park it until I had the time to work on it would it be better if I repalce the Engine and where would I find one? Any suggestions?
Parting the car will require more time and space than replacing the motor. You can find EJ25's pretty cheap. Check classifieds on RS25.com, I see good motors sold there pretty often due to people swapping their RS.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
Parting the car will require more time and space than replacing the motor. You can find EJ25's pretty cheap. Check classifieds on RS25.com, I see good motors sold there pretty often due to people swapping their RS.
+1 on what he said.

·
Registered
01 Forester 5MT
136 Posts
Sounds like you would have to get some work done on that block, assemble the motor using parts from your motor.

You should look for a complete motor that you can just drop in.

·
Registered
98 Forester
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What do you want to get for it as a whole?
I am not sure, what would it be worth?

Also I found an engine online from a parts dealer that has 77K miles on it. It came from a cash for clunkers car. No problems with the car on engine. The guy quoted me $1000 shipped in Madison. Is this a good deal? Also what kind of questions should I ask him.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Not that it's a bad deal, but cash for clunker cars had to have their engines destroyed. I don't believe that is where your engine will come from.

·
Registered
98 Forester
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After a month of ignoring the hulk of black car sitting in my drive I have found another engine and wanted to know your thoughts.

It's a insurance write off due to accident, but has 61,000 on it. It's 1200 plus 175 for shipping.

comes with a 90 day warranty.

How would that compare to the following:
01 02 SUBARU LEGACY FORESTER 2.5L DOHC ENGINE EJ25: eBay Motors (item 230495001351 end time Jul-13-10 07:56:05 PDT)

What is the different between and stock and a JDM Engine? I know the Engine I have has 240,000 on it and it's a EJ25 Engine but the one listed is a EJ25D, what does the D stand for?

Also is consideration is:

JDM EJ25DE 2.5L DOHC Engine Subaru Legacy Forester EJ25: eBay Motors (item 250661476490 end time Jul-15-10 08:48:12 PDT)

Any other thoughts regarding this as I want to get a new Engine but I don't know which one to get.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
If it's an engine from a wreck the number 1 thing you gotta do is check to make sure it hasn't jumped time.
Tooth count method,search and you'll find how to do it here.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,071 Posts
^^Spot on advice, Subarus have a track record of throwing the timing belt of having it jump teeth due to its length.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
234 Posts
Darn shame you're thinking about getting rid of it. If I were in the same boat I'd probably just ask the bank for a small personal loan and get a new engine put in it. Far less debt and headache taken on going that route, I would think, than replacing the entire vehicle. Also, these engines aren't really that difficult to swap from what I've heard and read.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts