Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, like the title reads, I'm looking at getting a Subaru. I have always liked them and been close to owning one a couple times. Just never sealed the deal on one. However, now I've started mulling over the purchase of a new used vehicle. I currently drive a 94 Honda Accord and have modified it maturely and tastefully, but its 16 years old now and while my Honda has many years left in it. It would be nice to own a newer vehicle.

That being said, I really like the Foresters, and more specifically a 2004 Forester XT. So, is there something to look for in them? How many thousands of miles are they good for? What can I expect out of one. I have done some research and know that for about a grand in parts, I have a car that has more horsepower than an Sti and the Forester is 15lbs lighter :)

I know some things that I want in one, I would like the 5sp, navigation isn't necessary but would be nice, same with panoramic moonroof. I don't need leather, but also is a plus. Really, I want a 5speed XT with less than 75k on it.

Am I asking too much?

So, hi to everyone and I look forward to joining the Forester family. I found one that fits most of my wants, however, its 500 miles away :) we'll see though :)

I'm now going to go read the thread about questions regarding buying a forester!!!!

:woohoo:

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,085 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Good luck on your Forester search. As to where to look. I looked on autotrader & Craig's list when I was looking last year. Like you, I wanted an '04XT, but settled on an '07 FSXT. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Prem.
80 Posts
Welcome!!

Well, like the title reads, I'm looking at getting a Subaru. I have always liked them and been close to owning one a couple times. Just never sealed the deal on one. However, now I've started mulling over the purchase of a new used vehicle. I currently drive a 94 Honda Accord and have modified it maturely and tastefully, but its 16 years old now and while my Honda has many years left in it. It would be nice to own a newer vehicle.

That being said, I really like the Foresters, and more specifically a 2004 Forester XT. So, is there something to look for in them? How many thousands of miles are they good for? What can I expect out of one. I have done some research and know that for about a grand in parts, I have a car that has more horsepower than an Sti and the Forester is 15lbs lighter :)

I know some things that I want in one, I would like the 5sp, navigation isn't necessary but would be nice, same with panoramic moonroof. I don't need leather, but also is a plus. Really, I want a 5speed XT with less than 75k on it.

Am I asking too much?

So, hi to everyone and I look forward to joining the Forester family. I found one that fits most of my wants, however, its 500 miles away :) we'll see though :)

I'm now going to go read the thread about questions regarding buying a forester!!!!

:woohoo:
Welcome Benji!!!

Try Autobytel.com If you go for a new car you can get it hundreds below invoice (thats what I did with my 2010 Fozzy) .. They do Used Cars too though.. You will want a Premium if you want the Moon Roof (That WAS A MUST FOR ME!!).. luckily.. its cloth and you can still get optional heated front seats with it.. (If you want leather go Limited).. You mentioned 5SP.. You will probably have to go with a Turbo for that since the non-Turbo is 4SP.. You want used though so I'm gonna wait for someone else to chime in and give you more input because I just know specs and pricing for the current models. Good luck and hope to see you as Forester owner soon! me and my wife love ours! :)

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just might have to do that, I've done a "local" search here from Washington and the closest one I can find via online used car dealers is Redding, California. That's almost 500 miles away for me which isn't terrible really, but it'd be nicer if I could fine one local.

Thanks for all the welcomes :)

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
a coast to coast search on autotrader shows, only 5 2004 xts with 5speeds, that are under 75,000 miles, any where from 11,000 to 15,000

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
the gov says that the avg person drives 12,000+ miles a yr, so thats right on the money, and those are old numbers, i would push your search out mileage wise, subie are good past 200,000 miles, if cared for. just know that when you move into the 100,000 mile range its coming up on a major service that need to be done

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, mileage is on the list of things I'd like, but I know that they're good for more. Shoot, there is an fxt on the local CL for $6500. But it has 215000 miles and a blown turbo...

If it was just a blown turbo that needed rebuilding (or better yet, upgraded) than I would think about it. But I don't want to pick up a car and rip into the motor to rebuild it. And at 215k I would be thinking I'd need to do that.

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
Yeah, mileage is on the list of things I'd like, but I know that they're good for more. Shoot, there is an fxt on the local CL for $6500. But it has 215000 miles and a blown turbo...

If it was just a blown turbo that needed rebuilding (or better yet, upgraded) than I would think about it. But I don't want to pick up a car and rip into the motor to rebuild it. And at 215k I would be thinking I'd need to do that.
that car has come up on the board already lol, for me i would draw the line at around 120-130 for a 04, as long as it had all its services done, and records showing that it was done.

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
Welcome to the forum.If you find your self in Wenatchee I have 2 04 Forester XT's & a 05 STi that your more than welcome to test drive.

joe r

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
Welcome to the forum.If you find your self in Wenatchee I have 2 04 Forester XT's & a 05 STi that your more than welcome to test drive.

joe r
not to thread jack, but you still hanging on to the STI? thought you had plans to tear into her

·
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
I have been teaching my daughter to drive with it so she can burn the HECK out fo the clutch disc as I am going to replace it when I swap the trans into my XT this year.

HEHE

joe r

·
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
She thought it was for her.bwahahaha

It is fun to let her pull first & second gear at WOT,hehe

joe r

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, shoot, if I get down to OR to see my parents soon, I just might give you a holler :) Nice to see another Washingtonian :)

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
Well, shoot, if I get down to OR to see my parents soon, I just might give you a holler :) Nice to see another Washingtonian :)
Let us know when you're in town! There are a few other members in the PDX area who would probably be up for lunch. Have you been for a ride in a modded FXT yet? Go for one ride, and it's all over...instant boost addiction.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Let us know when you're in town! There are a few other members in the PDX area who would probably be up for lunch. Have you been for a ride in a modded FXT yet? Go for one ride, and it's all over...instant boost addiction.
I haven't, and to be honest, I've only ever been in two Subies, test drove a 99 2.5rs back in 99 when I was buying a new car (should've bought that one) and my buddy has an oldschool gl or l lifted wagon :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts