Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium Manual
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a car, and I'm currently looking at a 2004 XS 5 speed. (A minor upgrade from my '03) Everything looks good so far, and I've arranged to see it in person this weekend. Is there anything specific I should look out for with this model? Were head gaskets still an issue with the '04?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,934 Posts
I'm in the market for a car, and I'm currently looking at a 2004 XS 5 speed. (A minor upgrade from my '03) Everything looks good so far, and I've arranged to see it in person this weekend. Is there anything specific I should look out for with this model? Were head gaskets still an issue with the '04?
HG's are less of an issue but certainly prone to leakage. Look for external leakage. Remember the timing belt, idlers, tensioner, and water pump need to be done at 105K miles. With the risk of problems in a 10 Y.O. vehicle you don't know. Seems foolish to leave your 11 YO car unless it is dead.

Welcome to the board

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium Manual
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I'm not leaving the old one behind by choice. I went to college, it didn't. I knew about the timing belt replacement, wasn't aware of the water pump. thanks.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,249 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Most members here on the forum would recommend a prepurchase inspection by an independent shop before buying any preowned vehicle. :wink:

As to the critical & expensive timing belt maintenance. If you can't get proof it was done, you have to assume it wasn't & have it done. :icon_eek:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts