Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at trading my 2008 Cobalt SS turbo in on a 2004 forester XT. The cobalt I love. It's an incredibly fast 4cylinder that is one heck of a sleeper. I've ran 1/4 miles in the high 13's stock. The downside to the cobalt is well it stays parked for most of the year. I have a 4x4 for winter but I kind of want to get down to a 1 vehicle house. So that brought me to this subaru. I've got it for an overnight test drive, and I have been running it pretty decent to see what it can do. The nice thing of course is traction, right now my FWD cobalt has pretty much 0 traction through 2nd and even some times 3rd gear when the roads are this cold. This thing still launches hard with hardly a chirp out of the tires.

So the car is plenty fast enough but can I reliably make it as fast if not faster than my cobalt with out pulling the motor and lots of $$$? What about the auto transmission can it hold up? I'd be going from a car with low miles, 14k, to a 90k mile rig. So how many more miles can I expect out of it? The big thing for me is reliability, GM just came out with a stage kit for my cobalt and people are dynoing around 320 wheel torque, and I still would be under warrenty. I've worked on cars quite a bit pulled a few motors, so I know a few things but still I dont want to be buying something I'll be dumping lots of money into?

hopefully this isn't too much of a ramble.

anyways any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,861 Posts
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

An '04 XT was first choice whan I started looking for my next project Forester. I liked the earlier styling & I wanted a specific color & very low mile, so my search went on for way too long. Last year (June/09) I settles on an '07 FSXT with just a bit over 21K miles. :smile:

I can't comment on power MODs, since I'm just getting started on mine, but if you want a sleeper, a Forester will make a nice one. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
Welcome. You may be able to pull off high 13s in the forester in stock form, and there are a few members on here that ran high 12s with a stock STi turbo.

Stan

·
Registered
42 Posts
One maintenance item that you would be looking at soon is the timing belt replacement at 105k miles. But sounds like you could do that yourself.

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,095 Posts
Mine is a manual and I pull mid 13's and a 0-60 just under 5 sec with just some bolt on's and an off the shelf flash. I'm at 99K now and my oil analysis says the motor is in very good shape. Subaru's are known for lasting quite a while.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Good idea to trade!.. i have a pontiac g5 09.. other than yours has a ton more power.. i just dont like the car bad sutup in my book..and after i purchased my subaru.. why did i ever buy a fwd... awd can go anywhere.. so hooked on my car... g5 good for gas milage thats about it.. looking forward for this spring to see if i can sell my g5

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
couldn't bring myself to do it :icon_frown: The numbers weren't working out the way they should have been to make it worth it. The dealership didn't want to play much with the used one and was too insistent on me buying a new forester instead. So I had to walk. But I'll still be keeping my eye out for a good used forester.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts