Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I’m interested in buying a forester in my town with 140,000 miles. however there seems to be a ticking noise going on. Owner says it has been like that since they bought it, and there are no knock sensor lights or check engine lights on. I’m wondering if anyone can tell me what this tick could be from before I decide on purchasing?
Video is a cold start, but the tick is always on while car is running. Doesn’t get worse with it being cold/warm, or when accelerated. Seller says it possibly gets a bit more quiet when warm but can’t tell for sure.
Video link is the date here-> October 21, 2021

· Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
44,123 Posts
@kass402 welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Sounds like our '95 Neon Sport... I believe it's called "piston slap" & it only does that for a very short time on a cold start, then quiets right down. It's always done this.

Neither of our Foresters sound like that. If you don't want to walk away, I'd strongly recommend having a shop give it a prepurchase once over to prevent you from getting stuck with expensive repairs!

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Reactions: kass402 and bman400

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not normal, walk away. With that many miles.
@kass402 welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Sounds like our '95 Neon Sport... I believe it's called "piston slap" & it only does that for a very short time on a cold start, then quiets right down. It's always done this.

Neither of our Foresters sound like that. If you don't want to walk away, I'd strongly recommend having a shop give it a once over to prevent getting stuck with expensive repairs!

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]
Thank you for the response! It’s listed at a pretty cheap price, so I’d have the money for the repairs unless it ends up as a whole engine rebuild type repair. Definitley reconsidering as you’re the second comment to say it doesn’t sound normal. I will definitley have a shop look over if I don’t decide to turn the other way. Thanks again!

· Premium Member
2022 Forester Limited 2018 Forester XT
16,591 Posts
If the head gaskets have not been done, they will need to be. When the timing belt was done it requires idlers, tensioner and water pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts