Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Lookie what UPS brought me today...

9K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  ScoobyDoobie 
#1 ·

Ebay Borla replica header. Complete with all gaskets and bolts necessary for installation! :woohoo:

See less See more
#3 ·
Good luck w/ ebay parts. Keep us posted over the months on how the quality is. Some ebay brands are hit and miss if these are good or bad let us all know so we can either support or stay away from that vendor. I gambled on a few ebay parts myself, some were decent some were not. I Hope it works out for you.

#4 ·
Good luck w/ ebay parts. Keep us posted over the months on how the quality is. Some ebay brands are hit and miss if these are good or bad let us all know so we can either support or stay away from that vendor. I gambled on a few ebay parts myself, some were decent some were not. I Hope it works out for you.
I've read a lot abut these headers over on rs25.com and supposedly they have better welds and are less prone to cracking than the ones actually made by Borla. I haven't read a single case on there of these headers cracking. Quite a bit cheaper ($) too.

#11 ·
I will try and see what I can do about getting a sound clip once I get these on. I don't own a video camera which is the problem. Maybe when my sister gets back from school I can borrow hers or something.

huck_this said:
I will try and see what I can do about getting a sound clip once I get these on. I don't own a video camera which is the problem. Maybe when my sister gets back from school I can borrow hers or something.
Supposed to bump up mid/high range torque and HP (few better MPG as well). There won't be any major increase in power, but with the rest of the exhaust freed up, I do expect some nice gains.

Subifreak said:
Awesome Scooby! You got on all fours for that last pic too didn't ya? lol J/K bud :lol: :icon_wink:
haha , just set the camera on the ground actually.

#13 ·
Well after a long hiatus, a friend and I installed these headers yesterday. Now running an Injen CAI and full stainless exhaust (Borla replica headers > Stromung HFC > Stromung catback). Installation was very simple, installed them in about 30 minutes or so. Note to fellow 4EAT owners: Your stock sized oil filter will not work with this header. I took Phillistine's advice and used a mazda miata oil filter, which allows for plenty of clearance and fits fine (same gasket, etc.). We went ahead and changed the oil since a new filter was going on anyways, and decided to switch over to Mobil 1 synthetic. Time will tell how synthetic oil will change things, but I have only heard postive things.

the sound: WOW! I love the way the car sounds now. Very rumbly and deep, it's almost a truck like sound under light throttle. This is by no means a quiet set up, but the header really opens up that boxer sound.

power: haven't gotten on it too much, but it feels like the low to mid revs are improved. Power just seems to come on a bit smoother. It still seems to fall off a bit after 5K RPMS but hopefully this summer, cams and a tune will solve this problem :Banane17:.

Overall: Very happy so far. Hope to get some better mpg as well (if I can keep my foot out of it:rock:). I will update later once the headers have been broken in a bit.

#14 ·
Finally you got a chance to install them yeah you have to wait until your ecu learns with your new headers. About the oil filter, its very tight with the header , but it still possible to install. Last week I did a oil & filter change an I had to unbolt my headers to change the filter. Next oil change I might get the Miata Oil filter. Hey can you post a sound clip of your exhaust, I have your same setup but with a STI axelback.

#20 ·
What would this do to the sound with a stock catback, do you think? Think it would make it too loud or drony? I want improvements in power, but I don't want any additional noise.

How much did you pay, and which vendor did you get these from?

#23 ·
Nah man, last and (only) ticket I got was about 4 years ago. It's actually probably not as loud a setup as you would think. I actually think it's quieter now than with the stock header, but with a definite change in tone. The HFC adds quite a bit of noise in its nature. Plus I don't romp on it in town anyways. Only interstate on-ramps and country roads. :biggrin:

#24 ·
What lift is the opening and closing at, in europe its normally the very edge of the base circle, but I know in the US its at more lift hence your durations look very short!

Simon

#25 ·
What lift is the opening and closing at, in europe its normally the very edge of the base circle, but I know in the US its at more lift hence your durations look very short!

Simon
Yeah, I actually don't know much about cams and what those numbers actually mean. I was hoping someone could help me interpret them or provide some insight.

#28 ·
Still happy with the header. IMHO the Borla/stromung combo sound sweet, though the HFC makes the tone raspy at certain RPMS. I'm thinking about having a resonator welded in or switching to a different midpipe for this reason (and keep the noise down a bit). I actually made a sound clip the other day with my camera's "record" function but it came out pretty crappy.

I really do want some more power and am dyin' to get those cams in with some sort of EM this summer. Anyone know of a good shop in VA area that can install these cams and tune the vehicle for a decent price? Maybe add a new timing belt install as well since it is getting to be that time (84K and climbing). In the mean time I plan on upgrading the front brakes to wrx sized rotors and hawk hps pads. Need some more suspension bits too, probably strut bars and who knows what else. I've had a perrin crank pulley sitting around for years now b/c my friend and I had a real hard time breaking the crank bolt loose. We had dropped the radiator and everything to get easy access to the pulley but couldn't budge the freaking thing. Hope to have this on before cams/tuning happens as well.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.