Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
09 XT
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched Lloyd Robertson (canadians know him) just a minute ago and during the video I caught a glimpse of a tail light that looked familier...

Car crashes into Mississauga store, pedestrian seriously injured

Elderly Woman Dies After SUV Crashes Into Store - CityNews

Hit and eventually killed an elderly woman left a nice sized hole in a brick wall, and she still went 20m inside a store.

What could have happened in that car to jump the curb, hit a lady, plow through a wall and then proceed to aisle 4?

I'm blaming her cheap canadian tire floor mats that slid up and made the gas pedal stick.

Just a guess. No evidence.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,083 Posts
Prayers go out to the ladies family. Not to make too light of the situation but the Forester seems to keep on going in all kinds of 'off-road' situations and can even take on brick walls if needed.

Although losing control is one thing, hitting someone then smashing through a wall and then half way or more through a store is a little much. How fast can you really go in a parking lot to lose control that bad.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
I heard about this in the news... rediculous event.
I fear it may have been the same driver who drove that BMW up on top of all those other cars at the gym a few months back. After getting rid of their crippled X5 they picked up something more "manageable" and then put their Forester through a friggin' Sears...

Toronto Drivers = teh failz!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
621 Posts
It really does sound like a vehicle malfunction like the mat problem that you suggested. Let us know if you find out more about that.

Consumers Reports just did an article on this same subject. Their recommendation.........With a runaway car, hold the brake down with all you've got, and push the shifter into neutral.
Ya may blow the engine, but that's minor compared to what else will happen if you don't. Don't shut off the engine during a runaway. Loss of brakes, steering, possible lockup of steering.

·
Registered
2014 CVT
826 Posts
It really does sound like a vehicle malfunction like the mat problem that you suggested. Let us know if you find out more about that.

Consumers Reports just did an article on this same subject. Their recommendation.........With a runaway car, hold the brake down with all you've got, and push the shifter into neutral.
Ya may blow the engine, but that's minor compared to what else will happen if you don't. Don't shut off the engine during a runaway. Loss of brakes, steering, possible lockup of steering.
or shear stupidness, ppl are freaking out b/c of the whole toyota thing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts