Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would introduce myself to this forum. I am new to this forum but have been an active member of similar forums for cars that I own(ed).

My mother-in-law purchased a 2010 Forester 2.5X premium with the SPORTSHIFT automatic. She doesn't drive so basically this is for my wife to drive her around in.

I like to buy cars that will last me a long time. I still have my first car, a 72 Porsche 914 that has a Volkswagen flat-four (boxer) engine just like the Forester except air cooled. We also own a 99 Ford Explorer 4WD.

Because I keep cars for a long time, I do not take purchasing a car lightly. I do a lot of research. I would not normally gravitate to a Subaru, but the Forester fullfilled a long list of requirements:

1. Easy in and out for old people (like my mother-in-law).
2. Good gas mileage with Regular fuel.
3. All-Wheel-Drive with good off-the-road performance.
4. High reliability.
5. Low cost of ownership and initial purchase.
6. Easy and fun to drive.

I am especially pleased with the fun to drive part. Even with the little 2.5 naturally aspirated engine, it is quick and nimble with nice torque. I like the 6-cyl. better (in the Outback) but need the better gas mileage of the 4. I actually liked the Outback a little better overall but my Mother-In-Law settled on the Forester.

I don't like everything about the Forester, especially the upholstry.

I hope to get a lot of years and road trips with the Forester. I have high expectations for it.

A little about me; I am an electronics engineer by profession and work with modern television and radio production systems.

Todays electronically controlled vehicles do not bother me. Even my '72 914 had electronic fuel injection. I replaced it with Weber carbs for performance. Big mistake. Too bad I already gave the FI parts away.

I am no stranger to working on cars. I've rebuilt my 914 twice and do most of the work on my cars. As I have aged and time has sped up, I have relied more on the shop but I still try to keep up with things.

Forums like this are wonderful for both the DIY car owner and the those that just need to know what is going on with their vehicle. I am sure this will be a great place to hang out, get information, and hoperfully, be able to share my own experiences and insights.

If you want to know where Vachsen comes from, it is from the German word Wachsen (they pronounce "w" similar to an english "v") which means "growing". I am always learning and growing when it comes to electronics, media production, automobiles, philosophy, theology, photography and all kinds of "_phys". Just another reason I am here!

Happy Trails!

Dan Grimes
Las Vegas, NV

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,201 Posts
Welcome. This is the best Forrester Forum period. You found the right one. I believe All of your questions will be answered here.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,700 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Lots of information here on the forum. If your search can't find it, post a question for the forum members to address. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
Porsche. There is no substitute. :biggrin: I still remember that line from Risky Business, lol (it was actually their advertising tagline back then I think). Now... if I can find a way to afford a new Panamera.

Welcome! This is the place. Yep, you've noticed Subaru low-end torque. Large bore, short stroke, high compression. Amazing they run on regular unleaded.

The Forester does seem to have the perfect ride height for easy ingress/egress.

:Banane35:

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Welcome to the forum from Oregon!
Bobby...
Thanks for the greetings from Oregon! I grew up in Gresham and go to Newberg once in a while to fix some equipment at George Fox.

When I was there this summer, I noticed that Oregon had a high percentage of Subarus of all types. Must be the official "State Car" or something.

But one of the reasons I wanted an AWD was because I plan to leave the desert and head back to the Pacific Northwest in the near future. Perhaps we'll run into each other in a vineyard in the near future.

Dan

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Porsche. There is no substitute... Now... if I can find a way to afford a new Panamera.
I've always wanted to put a twin turbo Subaru engine in my 914. I bet it would fit nice and the original transmission can handle 400BHP.

I'd put a Porsche engine in it but they are a little too spendy for 914.

By I am always dreaming of something and only a few o fmy ideas actually meet the road.

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts