Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5 Premium Crappy 4EAT
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's amazing what you take for granted and just do over and over and never question why.

My car has been throwing the P0420, daily, for a long time and I just reset it. Today, I was thinking about it, as I remembered yesterday getting funny looks from coworkers as I was restarting my car to head home. I had reset the codes on the morning commute, so now, the first restart after, it took about 15-20 cranks before starting. Normally, its about 2-3. This has always been the case and I have never questioned why. Today I tried searching briefly for it and have found nothing.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
found this from the nasioc site...

"When you clear the ECM or disconnect the battery on ANY Subaru with electronic throttle the ECM forgets where wide open and closed throttle is. Before it will allow the engine to start the ECM moves the throttle plate all the way open and then back closed so it will learn what the positional voltages (there are two different ones) are for those two positions. That causes a what is usually a 10 second delay."

Others on that site suggested through previous post that after a reset, turn the ignition "on" and wait for 10-15 seconds, then start. I will try this next time.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,109 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks for adding the "Solved"

I am familiar with the relearning aspect of it, just never associated with clearing of the code. Now I know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts