Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been reading comments about the length of mud flaps and the 'problems' when reversing. I'm thinking about buying the Rally Armor mud flaps and wanted to get peoples opinion regarding concerns over reversing with longer flaps and snagging them - will they get pulled off or pull off a piece of body work?

Cheers - Steve

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
I haven't had any problems, I thought they were a little long at first too but so far they've been great. And I've been backing into and driving threw some deep snow the last couple days too..

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
I've had no problems at all with my URs;
It would take something pretty tall to back into to hold the flap to the tire.. like a parking barricade or a big snowbank.. I don't plan on going over either of those backwards :biggrin:

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
The flaps I made are quite long. I guess if you do a lot of reversing and you think it could get pinched between the wheel and a rock then try it shorter.
Also, make your own. You can play with the length and design.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
all of you guys still have stock heights it looks like.. the problems usually occur with lowered vehicles.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the best photo I've seen of them - there is quite a gap. I haven't lowered mine - if anything I'd be looking to raise it at some point.

Thanks a bunch.

Cheers - Steve

I've had no problems at all with my URs;
It would take something pretty tall to back into to hold the flap to the tire.. like a parking barricade or a big snowbank.. I don't plan on going over either of those backwards :biggrin:

·
Registered
2019 canadian convenience
266 Posts
mine are 2" close to the ground. I did pulled one off when going into reverse and into a sidewalk...

·
Registered
2012 Mazda2 sloppy 5 with imaginary 6th
302 Posts
^^^^
lol I did the same thing... a little embarrassing

I'm lowered and im good.... not for nothing mudflaps are made to be abused. i know mine are.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
9 Posts
Made my own. Went to the local heavy truck parts store and purchased stiff urathane flaps. Known as anti sail flaps in the big truck world. Made them 1.5" wider than stock , play with the length to you get the look u want. I started with a piece of cardboard then transfered the pattern to the flap and cut out with a jig saw. they work great. have not ripped one off yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
863 Posts
My UR's are pretty low to the ground too... but I have never had any problems with them... Theyve been beaten up through the last few winter months and such, but they really are worth it.

·
Oilfield Trash
2009 X AT
680 Posts
I have pulled off a rear flap twice (my work does not allow head-in parking, FORWARD FIRST is a HUGE deal) on car-stops in parking lots but the lift-kit is going on today so I think those days are over. Keeping the flaps long GREATLY helps them do the job.

Unclviny

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
I never had a problem running these... ran them into the ground a bunch. But they never got stuck!

I've since swapped to some rally armor custom flaps that don't hang so low because the car is lower.

·
Registered
2011 Touring 4EAT
107 Posts
I think most curbs are 6-8 inches so keeping the rear flaps with this much clearance would ensure the flaps are not likely to scrape against the curb when doing a parallel parking. This is even more important when the added flaps are sticking out an inch or so. No?

However, most of the pictures posted here shows the rear flaps are in really good shape! So you guys never parallel park or you are that good?

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
There's an easy fix for that. Just angle the door mirror downwords so you can see the rear wheel and whatever it may hit.

·
Registered
2004 forester xt 4eat
1,294 Posts
Im kinda still on the fence, but Im leaning toward some good ol' rally armor basics... the other option is get some cheapies at pep boys...

theres no way Im making my own lol Im not equipt to do that lol

·
Registered
2003 forester s turbo Manual
578 Posts
While my car was stock height I never had a problem with running over the flaps (rallyarmor ones). Since its been lowered I've run them over twice and pulled them off while reversing up kerbs :icon_redface:

If you are staying stock height or higher then you won't have any issues unless you are trying to reverse up something ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts