Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of us here opted for the LoJack vehicle recovery service? And how much did you pay?

It was a no brainer for me as I live in a pretty high-crime area. Even with secure garage, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Initially, I turned it down because of the asking price [plus the 06 already came with the immobilizer]. The dealership told me it retails for $950, but they are willing to 'drop the price' to $750. A little too much, I told them and then stated that the most I've paid for a good theft deterant system was $489 (Clifford Alarm). With a little haggling, I've manage to get the price down to $550. Not too bad considering it's better than just an alarm that makes noise. With it, I've also managed to get an additional discount from my insurance agent for having such a device.

What really convinced me though was something that happened a year prior to date. A good friend of mine came to the city for a visit, unfortunately, her Prelude was taken within minutes after parking. She immediately called LoJack and had the system activated and had her car retrived within half an hour. The best part was that the police caught the crooks while they were stripping the car in their garage (less than a mile away!).

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
I'm not up to date with this technology

Is it basicly a tracking bug that can be installed into the vehicle to be tracked if stolen?

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
BTW, most insurance companies will discount the theft part of your policy if you get LoJack.
It might pay for itself.

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
How many thieves are going to be able to get around the immobiliser?
Obviously they can tow the car, but its pretty bloody hard to hot wire it.

Especially if there are other car models that dont have an immobiliser wouldnt someone target those (that doesnt apply here, all new cars must have an immobiliser)

Just seems to me to be overkill for cars with the immobiliser and expensive overkill at that.
(damn - the word k i l l is censored!)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Can't see it being worth the $$$ for me unless I get a Vehicle over $30,000. AND I lived in a high crime area...do like the option and technology though...I actually DID think about it for my 69 RoadRunner before I sold it so did do some research.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SenorSubie said:
I'm not up to date with this technology

Is it basicly a tracking bug that can be installed into the vehicle to be tracked if stolen?
That is correct.

You can usually spot a LoJack police units by the number of antennas (usually 4) on the roof. I didn't notice that before about these cop cars until the installer told me. The best part is they don't have to look for it, the unit calls out to them. Even lazy cops can track the car down with ease.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
If I had a car worth stealing I wouldn't think twice about getting this installed... especially if I was in a larger city

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
SKSTI said:
How many of us here opted for the LoJack vehicle recovery service? And how much did you pay?

It was a no brainer for me as I live in a pretty high-crime area. Even with secure garage, it's better to be safe than sorry.
What really convinced me though was something that happened a year prior to date. A good friend of mine came to the city for a visit, unfortunately, her Prelude was taken within minutes after parking. She immediately called LoJack and had the system activated and had her car retrived within half an hour. The best part was that the police caught the crooks while they were stripping the car in their garage (less than a mile away!).
I think a properly installed killswitch is a really good way to keep the car from going anywhere, on top of the immobilizer.

Also - for $550, I think LoJack is a great idea. Plus, it'll (hopefully) buy you piece of mind.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dicknose said:
How many thieves are going to be able to get around the immobiliser?
Obviously they can tow the car, but its pretty bloody hard to hot wire it.
From what the police told me, alot of thieves (with trucks & uniforms, looking legit) would tow your vehicle, let it sits for two days before bringing it to a chop shop or shipping it incase it's LoJack equipped.

Overkilled? I hope so. The harder for any fools to steal my car, the better.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SenorSubie & blitzoid, I agree with you gents 100%. My FXT is definitely worth spending $550. Although I must admit, the $950 asking price is a bit too much.

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
I *assume* that as part of the lojack system, you'll get an extra guarantee/refund if your car is stolen.... that won't hurt either.

I'd still get a killswitch installed, though. Preferably one that works in combination with an existing switch.

For example, you could have it set up so that the car would only start when the killswitch (hidden) is being pressed, and when you press the foglight switch at the same time.

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
blitzoid said:
I'd still get a killswitch installed, though. Preferably one that works in combination with an existing switch.

For example, you could have it set up so that the car would only start when the killswitch (hidden) is being pressed, and when you press the foglight switch at the same time.
Nice idea if you dont have the immobiliser, but otherwise how much extra protection is it going to give?
The immobiliser is done in the ecu, so its damn hard to by pass. Certainly its hundreds of times harder than even the best laid **** switch.

One thing you need to worry about is someone car-jacking the car. That is what is starting to happen here with high end cars since they all have immobilisers.

In the end if your car is insured and a profesional thieve wants it, why spend more than your insurance deductable to protect it?

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To get it back ASAP and hopefully catching the crooks that stole/jacked your ride.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know about your insurance company, but mine will charge an arm and a leg if I should list extras (aftermarket parts, ect). If not, they will only pay the blue book value of the vehicle. And even then, the rate is a rip-off as it it.

For those that have all kinds of mods and goodies, something like the LoJack is a good investment, IMO.

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
dicknose said:
Nice idea if you dont have the immobiliser, but otherwise how much extra protection is it going to give?
The immobiliser is done in the ecu, so its damn hard to by pass. Certainly its hundreds of times harder than even the best laid **** switch.

One thing you need to worry about is someone car-jacking the car. That is what is starting to happen here with high end cars since they all have immobilisers.

In the end if your car is insured and a profesional thieve wants it, why spend more than your insurance deductable to protect it?
Totally agree with you on the carjacking front.

As for the killswitch/immo issue: (while I can't think of why anyone would want to do this for a subaru forester, but nonetheless...) an enterprising theif can overcome an immo by using your VIN number to get a new key from a dealer.

·
Premium Member
'09 X
370 Posts
I have an equivalent here (called Tracker) which is required by my insurance company for any vehicle over R150k (US$25k). The way it works here is you pay a monthly subscription (which is effectively the same as the insurance premium deduction for having the unit).

If it was not required I definitly would not have it. My brother-in-law's Honda Ballade was stolen in October last year and when he activated the Tracker they could not locate the vehicle. The person on the call centre said that apparently there are only six places where the units can be fitted in a vehicle so the thieves know exaclty where to look to rip them out. :thumbsdown:

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, that sucks. Sorry to hear about your BIL's vehicle.

I hope that will never happen to me if the FXT should get taken without my permission. Even if they found the vehicle all messed up, I would at least want the cops to locate the crooks and catch the thieving scums.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts