Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just ours or does the Forester not have a safety steering wheel lock when the key is removed?

You know, when you turn off the engine, remove your key and slightly pull the steering wheel to one side and it locks in place and unlocks when you insert the key in the ignition and turn it to accessory like all other vehicles?

Its just a nice security feature to have and i need to know if ours is just broken so i can mend it.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Hmm...funny, I haven't tried it yet. Will check and post later.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Steering wheel lock, yes. But mine takes a bit wiggling to activate.

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steering wheel lock, yes. But mine takes a bit wiggling to activate.
can you elaborate on the wiggling part? i can pull on my steering wheel up to 4 inches of movement when i try hard enough and the wheel can still be turned the other way like it was before not unlike our other vehicles that locks it in place and will only allow about an inch of movement or less upon locking.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
can you elaborate on the wiggling part? i can pull on my steering wheel up to 4 inches of movement when i try hard enough and the wheel can still be turned the other way like it was before not unlike our other vehicles that locks it in place and will only allow about an inch of movement or less upon locking.
By that I mean I can move the steering wheel left and right a few times before it locks up. maybe it locks up if I turn it more to one side. So mine don't lock very quickly from what I'm used to on other cars. :shrug:

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Limited
33 Posts
Mine seems to work. Granted I don't remember to use it all the time.

·
Premium Member
2006 Forester XT 4EAT
629 Posts
im in an 06, i just give it a bit of a turn in either direction, and it activates

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What year is your car? Mine has one
it's a 2006

im in an 06, i just give it a bit of a turn in either direction, and it activates
i've been trying to give it more than a bit of a turn in either direction but i'll try again.

>>>>>>>>>

just in case, anybody have a diagram of the locking mechanism?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
It sounds like yours is broken or at least not engaging properly but I wouldn't sweat it too much because most thieves worth their salt can easily disable a steering wheel lock anyway.

There is one device that is superior to all the rest when it comes to auto theft and vehicle retrieval though, the Trunk Monkey, because sometimes getting your car back is simply not enough...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj540TmgH2c

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is one device that is superior to all the rest when it comes to auto theft and vehicle retrieval though, the Trunk Monkey, because sometimes getting your car back is simply not enough...

YouTube - Trunk Monkey Anti Auto Theft System

ah, the all reliable trunk money :discomonkey:

I wouldn't sweat it too much because most thieves worth their salt can easily disable a steering wheel lock anyway.
true, but anything that slows their process down is worth doing.

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Has your car ever been stolen?
Fortunately, no.

I don't park in shady areas or dodgy neighborhoods. And I bring the oldest car we own in case I really need to go someplace that has a high rate of vehicle thefts.

>>>>

Ok, I managed to make the steering wheel lock but it took more than 3/4 of a full turn to do it. I can already hear the wheels rub against the pavement at that point which is way to much just to engage the steering lock :crazy:

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
ah, the all reliable trunk money :discomonkey:

true, but anything that slows their process down is worth doing.
I suppose but I just don't have too much faith in anti theft devices including the steering wheel lock because I have seen too many good thieves.

This is in Russian but is hilarious none the less and who knew you could open a car door with a plunger, go figure, lol.

YouTube - Car Thefts

·
Registered
2010 Forester, Legacy
50 Posts
I parked my Forester yesterday and I think you're right. It doesn't seem to lock. But, when you try to put the key in, it does make you move the wheel back toward center to turn the key . . .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts