Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I did a search and found nothing on this subject so I thought I should toss it out. Several times lately I have found my fuel door open, and suspect someone is scoping my car to siphon the gas out. I imagine this will really be a problem as gas prices get worse and worse. All other cars I have owned have either had a locking fuel cap, or a fuel door that is opened from the inside of the car. The Forester seems to be screaming "open me up and steal me!" Is there anything anyone has done to prevent their gas from being stolen? I really hate having this vulnerability in today's society with gas prices soaring.

Thanks for any thoughts.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,070 Posts
Mine has an internal latch to release the door. I've retrofitted this type in my RS once but it's not cheap:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147

My guess is you can do the same for the Forester w/ the parts.

I have a locking cap I use to use before that. They are not expensive, you just need to look up what you need in the book at the autoparts store. I still have mine sitting around. It is a stant brand but there is no PN on it that I can find.

BTW welcome :)

·
Registered
2001 Forester
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, Subie Gal, that is what I was told when I originally tried to find one. And in the 5 years I have had it, I haven't had a problem so forgot about the issue. But now, its looking like an issue again. I wonder if it's possible to have a locksmith simply install a lock on the fuel door... therefore not changing the sealing abilities of the stock gas cap. Has anyone done this?

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,070 Posts
The cap I was using I got for my 92 Geo Tracker, then it was on my 95 Ford Contour to my 99 RS. I think as long as it seals and the check valve works you should be OK. I never had a problem with a CEL. Like I said though mine is a Stant Brand which I think is a quality item. The gas cap only needs to hold pressure is all.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, will give the Slant one a try! =)

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
I bought a locking gas cap for MY 99 forester.. 15 dollars but the piece of mind is well worth the initial cost

1 - 7 of 7 Posts