Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We don't know who's this is but so far its nobody on the local board. One of the guys spotted it burning at the side of the highway this afternoon. Looks to be an underhood fire. Sad to see one go like this, I wonder if any of it is useable now.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Oops... Car-BQ. That sucks. :(

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT (former)
2,485 Posts
If that were an '04 I might have run over with my lug wrench to try to get the wheels off... :icon_razz:

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,943 Posts
Gas leak on a hot engine is one possibility.

I once followed a car that was dropping balls of flame from underneath. Driver immediately pulled over. I pulled in next to him to be sure he knew what was going on. He did. He got out of the car and ran away fast. I drove away. By the time I got out of sight I could see the entire car in flames.

·
Registered
2003 Cross Sports
821 Posts
That's really scary to think it could happen so easily. An STi down by me also burnt this year but I think it was following an accident where he ran off the road.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My guess was oil but gas/oil dripping on something hot will do it. There's a video of a MKIV Golf GTI smoking from an oil leak then slowly bursting into flames with WEEZER as the background music playing. Kewl song and rather erie with the video.

Speaking of which

·
Registered
2007 Forester Premium
1,923 Posts
crazy stuff. looked good too

legacy- I saw that video before and thought the song brought something new to the video. Thats exactly what I'd be saying to myself, and probably out loud

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
Scary. A local F body owner had a fuel line bust and he said as soon as he saw smoke, he stopped and popped the hood but it was too late.

Reasons like this are the reason to carry an fire ext. in the car. Not mounted on the a piller, but somewhere so you could potentially put out a small fire, which tends to happen sometimes on modded cars.

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
That suX!

joe r

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Gas leak on a hot engine is one possibility.

I once followed a car that was dropping balls of flame from underneath. Driver immediately pulled over. I pulled in next to him to be sure he knew what was going on. He did. He got out of the car and ran away fast. I drove away. By the time I got out of sight I could see the entire car in flames.
Most likely fuel rail leak under the intake manifold. Same issue that the TSB on bugeyes is for (why I'm replacing all my fuel lines in the engine bay and hoseclamps while I have the intake manifold out). A local baja XT burnt to the ground in a similar fashion a number of years ago.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
I've got two extinguishers for both of our vehicles - one accessible from the driver/passenger seat in-cabin (below the front of the passenger seat), the other in the trunk.

My goal is simple: to use the extinguisher(s) to effect extraction of all passengers, period.

The car can burn, it can be replaced.

I've seen a couple of roadside car-fires, from beginning to end. It's *FAST*. In one case, I was close enough to render help, but by the time I'd come to a stop and gotten out with my extinguisher, the other car was pouring out enough smoke that even the owner of the car simply knew better than to try anything.

Get everyone out, get everyone safe - then, if you feel you must, go for the car.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
1,323 Posts
its a good idea to have one in the vehicle incase something happens to you or you happen upon someone needing an extinguisher. You never think it can happen to you until it does...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts