Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents inlaw go south to Florida every winter. Mother-in-law called this morning and suggested as an Xmas present for dad to get him a USB wireless adapter from Virgin . This way they'll have internets for the 2 months they spend down there and as a bonus they can use it in the car when they drive down (25 hours worth of driving). These are older , simpler internet folks. They will be sending emails, checking out the weather report and maybe looking at a few websites. No youtube surfing or DL'ing movies. They'll use it Feb-March then it will sit till next year. I may borrow it in the summer for our family roadtrips and buy a month's worth of internets.

Since I don't live in teh US I have no idea of what's available , what's good.... She suggested Virgin since that's what someone told her they used. Its pay as you go, $100 for the USB stick

$10 10 Days 100 MB 5 hrs Web Browsing Or 25 minutes Video Or 10,000 Emails
$20 30 Days 250 MB 12 hrs Web Browsing Or 1 hour Video Or 25,000 Emails
$40 30 Days 600 MB 30 hrs Web Browsing Or 2 1/2 hours Video Or 60,000 Emails
$60 30 Days 1 GB 50 hrs Web Browsing Or 4 hours Video Or 100,000 Emails

We dont' want a contract since they'll only use it for 2 months. Is this a good deal ? Can you buy the USB stick cheaper than Virgin's website ? Can you let them sit unused for 6 months then buy another month's worth ? Would you recommend another mobile company for their needs and why ?

I looked on Ebay out of curiosity. I see a few people selling pre-used Virgin sticks but they dont' have the PIN. Can you unlock these like a cell phone ? Any clue why you'd want to buy a used one ?

Who's used one of these and how realistic are Virgins estimates above ? I know if I used it , I'd be checking mail, browsing here which has lotsa pics and using Google maps to find hotels/attractions on our trips.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Do either have a Blackberry?

I tethered my BB to my laptop when I was in South Georgia. Faster than most cable connections, and $30/month. You can pro-rate just the days you'll be likely to use it too (I "ordered" 7 days for $7 and had up to 5GB of usage).

Didn't really use it, but it was handy to have.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No blackberries for either. They're from Canada so their cell phone wont' do roaming without some stupid expensive $10 @ minute charge. Looking to keep this simple as they're both over 65 years old and not exactly computer savy. The USB stick is a nice easy way to do it.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Virgin runs on sprint/nextel's network in the US.

Honestly, most of these plans don't make any sense. They are absolutely -not- a replacement for a home internet service.

Bring a laptop with wifi and find a hotspot. 250 mb might get you 1 day of use of actual web browsing. The figures they give are for very basic webbrowing, any images, animations, videos will use it up MUCH faster. Also, data overage rates are very expensive in general.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
No blackberries for either. They're from Canada so their cell phone wont' do roaming without some stupid expensive $10 @ minute charge. Looking to keep this simple as they're both over 65 years old and not exactly computer savy. The USB stick is a nice easy way to do it.
What kind of phones do they have?

With older phones, you could easily piggyback a data signal on the wireless line and use the internet that way. Newer phones typically block this though.

I'd probably look at a Verizon or AT&T card from the USA. They are typically cheap, easy, and you can usually get a great deal. If they have verizon for cell-service, you can usually organize a way to get it on a pay-as-you-go plan. Then they wouldn't need to worry about another bill to keep track of.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, forget that they have a phone. Its a Canadian carrier (as in does not exist in USA) and they will be charged literally $10 @ minute to use it. Also they are not capable of runnign a laptop through a phone. The concept is waaaaaaaaay over their head.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts