Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

New member here. I own a old Forester S with 150K, which I bought new in 2000. A year and a half ago I bought a 07 BMW X3 to replace it. I never ended up selling the Forester, because frankly the more I drove the X3, the less I liked it.

Since buying the x3, I've put more miles on the Forester ... driving it to the more rough places, parts of town etc.

Today the Forester is in the shop for a what could be its end :( The rear diff is making an awful racket. If so, I'm going to sell both cars and look at 2010 XT's. I test drove a 10 Limited (non-turbo) and _liked_ it, but felt it was a little softer than the 01.

Anyways just saying hi!

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
863 Posts
welcome to the forum! I've never actually driven any of the previous models, but I can tell you that i Love my 09.... Do wish I got the Turbo though, but no worries... when I'm outta college I can get my XT!

The soft squishy feel can be fixed I believe... theres some pretty reasonably priced mods you can get, i.e. swift springs, some new strut bars, etc. to make the ride more fun. A lot of people added on the Whiteline/Perrin Rear Sway Bar and they claim it makes a WORLD of difference. I plan on getting one myself. Either way, Good luck with your purchase!

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,123 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Illinois!
Glad to hear you're looking into an XT. I wouldn't have it any other way! I just got my first Subaru in January and I'm loving every minute of it. I personally don't like BMW's and the worst thing anyone has ever said about my new Forester is that it looked a lot like a BMW X3!

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
Welcome along. My MIL has an 07-ish X3. I enjoy driving it, but it would be dreadful with the 2.3L and the auto-trans. Hers is a 3.0i with a 6MT, so it's decently fun but decidedly less exciting to drive than a Subaru. Gear ratios are so short, they make your arm tired.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It lives another day

Turns out that noise was a wheel bearing (the first one to go bad surprisingly). So it lives another day!

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Glad to hear it was just a wheelbearing, they seem to be the bane of subaru ownership lol.
The 09+ are definitely a bit softer, but a better "overall" car for most of the target demographic. If you want something sporty, you have to get the 07/08 forester sport XT!

imo the x3 has to be the worst thing BMW has ever done. I don't get why anyone would pay the same for a mediocre "cuv" as a 5 series wagon?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts