Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Audi S4 Avant 6 spd Triptronic
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well a big storm rolled through and I went back out, not as good as my picture from last year...but not bad!

·
Former Foz Dude
2010 WRX STI SE STI 6-speed, yo
1,362 Posts
Nice! Still like the first one a bit better.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT '06 STi 6MT
707 Posts
make a new animated avatar with BOTH lighting bolts in it!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice shot, have you thought about a little darker sky and maybe a smaller crop?
I was thinking more along the lines of a light HDR. And as for cropping...not really as I was sticking to the rule of thirds!

And last years shot!

·
Registered
118 Posts
It looks like it's not quite the same place. The new one's a little further to the right. :N_poke: :biggrin:

Seriously, though, those are some amazing pics, both of them. Great shots!

·
Registered
2002 S
71 Posts
I dig the old shot better. The contrasting skies and the lightning over the Fozzie makes it that much cooler. Nice shots though, I don't think I can get a lightning shot yet...

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
I was thinking more along the lines of a light HDR. And as for cropping...not really as I was sticking to the rule of thirds!
The rule of thirds is certainly something to consider and I definitely like the second version with the darker and more ominous sky, however rules were made to be broken as they say and I often find myself breaking that one quite a bit, especially where car photos are concerned.

To me, as long as you don't crowd the front end too and still have the car occupying the lower third, it works and is still technically correct to a certain degree. I also find I like to have the car as large as possible as well and when strictly following the rule of thirds, that is much easier said than done sometimes.

Here is a version of the second one I played around with a bit and in that one, I liked the vehicle more level and took out a bit of what I considered to be distractions in the background and I darkened the headlight a bit to remove it as a focal point also.

I consider print size a fair bit when making modifications to photos because I most often sell 8x10 which doesn't help artistically sometimes either. Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see the next lightning shot, just don't get hit, lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
I like the HDR because it makes the sky more dramatic and ominous however I often ignore the strict rule of thirds, especially where vehicles are concerned because I usually end up selling 8x10's and the customer generally wants to see their car as large as possible in the photo.

In these photos the car already occupies the lower third anyway so you aren't really breaking the rule by moving on center and it just depends upon whether you want more open area and is fairly subjective.

I liked the second shot you posted as well and played with it a bit, I am not much for background distractions so I took some of them out. I look forward to future lightning shots, just be careful, lol.

Lol, sorry for the double post, maybe it was fate because I barely hit the submit button and I was struck by lightning and didn't think it posted, feel free to delete the post mods.

Attachments

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I gotta disagree with you Papa D, I usually deal mostly in posters that I sell to my customers after doing a shoot.(I have a plotter) I think it depends on the picture, with the lightning, I don't think it looks good with the car centered. If I am shooting and there isn't a lot going on in the background then I usually shoot with my F1.4 lens and get the car to take up most of the picture.(blur the background ect.. not to lose focus of the car) In the lightning shot it's not all about the car. I do the same with rig shots, I try to not have the entire car taking up the whole shot. To each is their own though.

Everyone has a different style of photography...I'll stick to mine.

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,736 Posts
that's really sweet, i'm still using your first shot as a desktop

dm

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
I gotta disagree with you Papa D, I usually deal mostly in posters that I sell to my customers after doing a shoot.(I have a plotter) I think it depends on the picture, with the lightning, I don't think it looks good with the car centered. If I am shooting and there isn't a lot going on in the background then I usually shoot with my F1.4 lens and get the car to take up most of the picture.(blur the background ect.. not to lose focus of the car) In the lightning shot it's not all about the car. I do the same with rig shots, I try to not have the entire car taking up the whole shot. To each is their own though.

Everyone has a different style of photography...I'll stick to mine.
Disagreement is part of what makes life worthwhile to me so no problem, it's all good as they say.

I also sell posters, mostly mounted to black Gator board because I hate the wimpy white foam core and how easily damaged and degraded over time it becomes and I suppose part of the reason I developed the style I did was because when I started shooting race cars, I was shooting film and selling based upon 4x6 sample prints which would have been a tough up-sell if the client's car only measured an inch or two on the 4x6 although until now, I never really thought about that influencing my style as much as it has.

I also came to art/action photography in a round about way because prior to becoming involved in it, I had previously worked for a company that designed and built large scale exhibits for trade shows, another company that did Billboard sized dye transfer prints that shipped all over the globe, one of coolest of which was a panorama of the New York skyline and surrounded the interior base of the statue of liberty and most recently, from a civil engineering design and graphic arts background where the subjects are most often sterile and purely informational which likely contributed to my minimalist or simple style as much as anything.

It's difficult to make photographs of what appear to be the same stretch of roadway or bridge look interesting, especially in Florida due to the constant elevations in most places and try as I might with different angles and techniques, many of the photos were just plain boring, especially since the clients involved looked at roadway and bridge photos all day long. The Pressure to be creative and unique was always on though because the projects being awarded were multi-million dollar design jobs so you always had to put your print forward.

My large design displays are well liked in the civil design industry and one of my 6'x15' creations from a few years back still hangs in the halls of the FDOT and even though we lost the contract because they had just awarded us another large job, they liked our presentation and ideas enough to "steal" our design and displays.

I don't sell too many posters to the racers however because most of them don't want to spend the coin on mine or wait for me to go to the shop and make them when they can get "insta-prints" from the local hack at the event, and even though his posters will be toast in a year because he doesn't utilize any UV protection and mounts them on cheap foam core, they are cheap and quick but I still get the business from quality conscious folks who want something a cut above that is going to last for years and still lay flat because I use the 1/2" Gator board as a mount.

Here is the last poster I did and although there is a lot of distraction in the background, the de-saturation helps to minimize it. Keep up the good work and watch out for the lightning, lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 FXT Limited 5MT
2,816 Posts
Wow dude...that looks amazing. I wish we had more crazy storms like that on long island.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts