Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester 6MT
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a lot of searching and have come up with very little info. I was wondering if anyone has put a lightbar, like a Rigid Ind one, in the lower air duct/opening below the license plate mounting point on the front of the car? Similar to the attached pictures. I'd probably go with a 10" bar

I was also considering putting lights behind the grill, but space seems to be at a premium there in my 03

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Forester 6MT
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't happen to have the photo do you? And maybe someone could suggest a good place to mount the light. Do I drill up into the bumper beam? or go to the lower radiator support beam?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
511 Posts
I started a thread asking basically the same thing. I was going to run (2)of the 8" or 10" LED light bars, one on each side of the lower air inlet on my 04 XT (each of those lower vents is 12" wide) I prefer a more hidden look than the pics you posted. Problem is, those light bars are EXPENSIVE! I think. I will be trying out an eBay set and see how they work.

·
Registered
2003 forester 2.0 xt at
698 Posts
I have some cheap ebay leds, they work more as fogs...
I would love to see a good ledbar in the lower duck... Do it!

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0XT Limited CVT
416 Posts
Wouldn't putting a light bar in the air intake limit the air flow that your car depends on? Since these things (the inlets) are engineered to maximize the benefit the vehicle I would suspect that partially blocking them would reduce their effectiveness to the detriment of something.

·
Registered
2003 forester 2.0 xt at
698 Posts
I wouldnt worry about that, you are not going to seal off the area completly, and there will be gaps over, under and on the sides. You wont notice.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
511 Posts
Wouldn't putting a light bar in the air intake limit the air flow that your car depends on? Since these things (the inlets) are engineered to maximize the benefit the vehicle I would suspect that partially blocking them would reduce their effectiveness to the detriment of something.
The light bars aren't actually all that big. There will be plenty of air flow around the light bar. If you look around alot of people also block off portions of their radiators during the winter, much in the same fashion as big rigs do. To be honest with you; they take up ALOT less space than the Hella lights and Supertones people put in the grill.

·
Registered
2008 X 5MT
459 Posts
Unless you have a narrow beam, I fear there will be too much light on the ground, directly in front of the car.

IMHO, you'd want to place it higher.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
511 Posts
Unless you have a narrow beam, I fear there will be too much light on the ground, directly in front of the car.

IMHO, you'd want to place it higher.
The spot spread of the LEDs are pretty tight. Much tighter than the Hellas and PIAA lights I have seen. Once I sell some more junk in my garage I'll be able to afford a set and will run some tests.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 6MT
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been busy with work and school lately and haven't made any progress. I was going to use an Aurora LED bar/bars assuming the dimensions would work out

I'd love to put something behind the grill instead, but I don't think there is much room. In my case, I'm mostly looking to put a little more light on the road in inclement weather. The stock fogs don't seem to make much of a difference

1 - 11 of 11 Posts