Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

We have a 05 manual 2.5XTn, with 40500 on the clock full dealer service history, last service at 33K. It has recently developed a light whickering or tapping noise under load. The noise seems to happen at pull away and under acceleration and then disappears when cruising/light load (or maybe its masked by exhaust/running noise). It arrived with the recent cold weather and I wondered whether that might be linked to it. I suppose my real concern is that the next service is the cambelt change and I wonder if it might be linked to that in some way.

Lastly it does seem to use some oil - how often would you recommend changing oil and filters.

any suggestions or advice welcomed

B

·
Registered
2005 2.5 XTE
59 Posts
Well the log book suggests every 10,000 miles or yearly, so I would go with that. I'd do the simple things first and start with an oil and filter change and see if the condition improves.

My 2.5 90,000 miler uses oil but never more than litre every 2000 miles. In my eyes that's acceptable and probably within limits. In fact most of my cars have all used oil, BMW being the best car for not using oil. My 944T about 1L/1000 miles, but the worst is my runabout fiesta 100,000 miler, 1L/500 miles. However I know its on it's last legs, but I keep filling it up and it just keeps on running :icon_biggrin:, (Valve stem seal issues).

Sorry I can't offer any more solutions, hope that helps.

Nuts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts