Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 forester touring
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having issues on what to buy and understanding what I need ! please help... I think on my 2017 touring I have H11 mount type low beam ? so I was about to either buy lasfit or rcp LED bulb but I am not sure ! But before I do I want to make sure I have the right thing.... Any suggestion ? and Am I on the right path to success lol or I have the wrong type of bulb...

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
447 Posts
If you're installing an LED in place of an incandescent bulb, you're on the wrong path...

Please read this article:
Thinking of converting your halogen headlamps to HID or LED?

"Good HID and LED headlamps are terrific; they can offer excellent safety performance and driver comfort, but only if they're designed and built from the start as HID or LED headlamps. Installing an "HID kit" or "LED bulbs" in a halogen headlamp isn't an upgrade, it's a large and serious safety downgrade.

So you've read about HID and LED headlamps—maybe you've driven a car equipped with them—and now you want to convert your car. A few mouse clicks on the web, and you've found dozens of outfits offering to sell you an "HID kit" or a set of "LED bulbs" that will fit right in place of your car's halogen bulbs. Sounds great, right? It's not. STOP! Put away that credit card.

This article primarily discusses the problems with "HID kits", but the concept and most of the issues apply equally to the "LED bulbs" now flooding the market."

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
600 Posts
I am having issues on what to buy and understanding what I need ! please help... I think on my 2017 touring I have H11 mount type low beam ? so I was about to either buy lasfit or rcp LED bulb but I am not sure ! But before I do I want to make sure I have the right thing.... Any suggestion ? and Am I on the right path to success lol or I have the wrong type of bulb...

You can create a dangerous lighting situation by doing this.
Also your DRL will not work properly. It droves a voltage that will run the LEDs out of spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i Tour CVT
313 Posts
My 2017 Touring has LED headlights and DRL.. it appears the turns are incan..

Im confused by the OP's post..

Brian

·
Registered
2017 forester touring
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi thatguy2... so if I unserdtand I am already with LED light... lol I will have a look tonight.. :)

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,734 Posts
Also your DRL will not work properly. It droves a voltage that will run the LEDs out of spec.
Doublecheck your setup. My 2018 and 2016 both use high beams for DRL. Diode Dynamics SL1s work great for me as low beams, but they misbehave as DRLs if swapped for LEDs.

I have a solution up my sleeve, but not quite ready yet.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,734 Posts
As for LEDs' performance as bulb-swap headlight replacements, it's a mixed bag. Diode Dynamics did a lot of work to assure that their SL1s produce an illumination pattern that works with normal incandescent reflector housing. Others on the market just aren't compatible. They don't squirt the light in the directions that an incandescent bulb would, and the results after it bounces off of the reflector can be horrible.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
447 Posts
bbottomley I'm sorry, but my BS-O-meter spiked when I read that...

Please review the images in this thread. To my eye the LED arrangement on all four of those bulbs looks identical, two of them being DD products. From my position as a vehicle design engineer I find it laughable to say the DD bulbs shown are somehow better at directing the light from those three LEDs than the other two bulbs.

Bottom line: If you install p'n'p LED bulbs into a halogen lamp housing, you're doing it wrong. Retrofit an entire LED lamp assembly into your lamp housings. You'll slap yourself for wasting the $40 on LED bulbs the first time you drive the retrofit at night.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts