Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 BRZ Limited 6MT
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
edit: wrong window haha

I got a set of 05 WRX STI takeoffs, but I don't want to be so low. Looks like Garage XTI and Subtle will be making 2" lift kits, but since I already have FXT pinks, I was wondering what pros/cons there would be to installing my FXT Pinks on the STI struts.

Yes, I know 05 STIs won't fit on XT Hubs. :)

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,542 Posts
Do you mean Impreza or Forester STI take offs?

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,786 Posts
If you want to use STi struts with Forester Pink springs, my guess is you won't have enough damper travel -- the rods won't extend up enough. FSTi pinks should be pretty tall and have too many coils, you'll need to compress the **** out of them to fit the tophat. They may even coil-bind, but you'd have to measure. It won't be ideal, they aren't designed to work with each other, but I've always wanted to try something like that.

Stan

·
Registered
13 BRZ Limited 6MT
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stan: That's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll just sell the STI Pinks and get a lift kit when they come out.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Forester SG5 5MT
198 Posts
Stan: That's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll just sell the STI Pinks and get a lift kit when they come out.
Wonder how much does it cost to send those pinks to me :) lol

ps. Really. Badly want those springs, but can't afford yet buying new ones as the overall budget of buying new fxt pinks + new struts will be almost the same as the set of new tein coilovers (i.e.: tein superstreet rus spec for Forester able to keep stock clearance). Which is kinda expensive currently for me :(.

·
Registered
13 BRZ Limited 6MT
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wonder how much does it cost to send those pinks to me :) lol

ps. Really. Badly want those springs, but can't afford yet buying new ones as the overall budget of buying new fxt pinks + new struts will be almost the same as the set of new tein coilovers (i.e.: tein superstreet rus spec for Forester able to keep stock clearance). Which is kinda expensive currently for me :(.
I'll be ready to sell some sti pinks w/stock fxt struts (37k Miles) in a few weeks, if you're interested.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'll be ready to sell some sti pinks w/stock fxt struts (37k Miles) in a few weeks, if you're interested.
I'm currently digging on opportunities to get used fxt pinks, but w/o struts as I'm going to get bilstein b4 struts.

Can I ask you to PM me when you decide on sale?

Thanks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You're right :). That's why I'm going to buy B4 struts produced by Bilstein for sf5 turbo Forester. There should be minor issues with the rear struts top hats probably, but people say its doable.

Actually I've came across B6 bilstein struts for SG5 in Japanese catalogue of Bilstein!!! Marvelous! But can't find a way to buy them, can't find a supplier.

Here are p/n:

ƒXƒoƒ‹ BILSTEIN LINEUP

02/2~07/11 SG5
--------------------
Front:
VE3-3032LJ
VE3-3032RJ

Rear:
VE3-3033LJ
VE3-3033RJ

Cost around 176400 yen. I can only dream about a dealer able to sell/deliver those struts to Russia :). Maybe some day I'll find a way :)

P.S. Btw, there are B6 struts for SH fozzies as far as I can understand: http://www.bilstein.co.jp/pdf/forester_xt.pdf

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
You're right :). That's why I'm going to buy B4 struts produced by Bilstein for sf5 turbo Forester. There should be minor issues with the rear struts top hats probably, but people say its doable.

Actually I've came across B6 bilstein struts for SG5 in Japanese catalogue of Bilstein!!! Marvelous! But can't find a way to buy them, can't find a supplier.

Here are p/n:

ƒXƒoƒ‹ BILSTEIN LINEUP

02/2~07/11 SG5
--------------------
Front:
VE3-3032LJ
VE3-3032RJ

Rear:
VE3-3033LJ
VE3-3033RJ

Cost around 176400 yen. I can only dream about a dealer able to sell/deliver those struts to Russia :). Maybe some day I'll find a way :)

P.S. Btw, there are B6 struts for SH fozzies as far as I can understand: http://www.bilstein.co.jp/pdf/forester_xt.pdf
Nice find dude!
Do you know what is meant by model year: 02/2~07/11
I wonder why they don't make any for the SG9.

Looking at STI - PARTS NAVI / FORESTER under SG D type Sti:

The range of model year is 05 01 - 05 11 which I am not sure what it means but seems to fall within the range of SG5 on the bilstein catalogue you posted above!
Btw SG D type is a SG9.
I am really confused now :confused:
Do you think the above Bislteins will fit a SG9?
I know a guy in Greece has a set of yellow Bilsteins in his Forester SG9 (2006 model) which were taken from an imported FSTI from japan so it must be possible!

Does anyone know anyone in Japan willing to help us?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Nice find dude!
Do you know what is meant by model year: 02/2~07/11
I wonder why they don't make any for the SG9.

Looking at STI - PARTS NAVI / FORESTER under SG D type Sti:

The range of model year is 05 01 - 05 11 which I am not sure what it means but seems to fall within the range of SG5 on the bilstein catalogue you posted above!
Btw SG D type is a SG9.
I am really confused now :confused:
Do you think the above Bislteins will fit a SG9?
I know a guy in Greece has a set of yellow Bilsteins in his Forester SG9 (2006 model) which were taken from an imported FSTI from japan so it must be possible!

Does anyone know anyone in Japan willing to help us?
First of all, mind the japanese date format ;)

02/2~07/11 means - "starting from Feb'2002 to Nov'2007" - those are official MY dates in Japan for sold Fozzies. Actually, as far as I can see, they start selling models earlier in Japan. Thus, in US sg5 started in 2003, whilst in Japan - 2002. The same for all models.

From my point of view, if there is anything for sg5 suspension, it will fit sg9 as well.

And finally, I can be mistaken, but I think there is at least one forester owner from Japan on this site :). So probably we can ask him to investigate the possibility of buying those struts in Japan?..

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
First of all, mind the japanese date format ;)

02/2~07/11 means - "starting from Feb'2002 to Nov'2007" - those are official MY dates in Japan for sold Fozzies. Actually, as far as I can see, they start selling models earlier in Japan. Thus, in US sg5 started in 2003, whilst in Japan - 2002. The same for all models.
I just realised that in the link you posted: ƒXƒoƒ‹ BILSTEIN LINEUP
it is mentioned 02/2~07/11 so from your saying above (Feb'2002 to Nov'2007) this covers the SG9! :banana:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts