Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
Stock? I'd say 60K, after that the rebound won't be as good but they'll still dampen. Maybe longer.

On Miatas, stock shocks are considered shot at 40K, but there are tons of 150K+ Miatas running on stock suspension without issues.

Stan

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,221 Posts
It really depends on where the car is used. Bad roads will ruin them far faster than smooth, flat roads. I think the stock ones are usually good 80-100k but it's extremely variable.

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My car has 141,000 miles on the clock and is sagging in the back, worn out right front shock too. I bought it with 108,000 and have no idea if those parts were ever updated but I suspect not. I've got a good deal on springs and struts from an '05 Foz lined up, these have 60K on them. Sounds pretty good, sure they're not new but it'll still be a great improvement over mine right? I've read that SG suspension on my SF will slightly improve handling with its stiffer springs and its even a little bit taller. Sound about right?

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
I don't know, depends on the price of the used struts. You figure you are spending at least $100 on the alignment, why cheap out and not spend the $200 on new struts?

Stan

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
My car has 141,000 miles on the clock and is sagging in the back, worn out right front shock too. I bought it with 108,000 and have no idea if those parts were ever updated but I suspect not. I've got a good deal on springs and struts from an '05 Foz lined up, these have 60K on them. Sounds pretty good, sure they're not new but it'll still be a great improvement over mine right? I've read that SG suspension on my SF will slightly improve handling with its stiffer springs and its even a little bit taller. Sound about right?
I bought a set of takeoffs with 40k on them, and put another 40k on and they're far past "shot". I paid 200 for the set, so it was about the same as buying just 2 new struts, and it included all the springs tophats etc. I wouldn't spend much on 60k struts, I'd try to stick to something with no more than 30k. (with 40k there was already some rust beginning to form).

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
How odd. I just sold my 55k set and it looked clean as heck after the dirt was cleaned off. Still felt good too. No complaints from the WRX Wagon owner using them to rally now.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
How odd. I just sold my 55k set and it looked clean as heck after the dirt was cleaned off. Still felt good too. No complaints from the WRX Wagon owner using them to rally now.
Salt. It really just ruins everything on a car. I also abuse mine quite a bit. Higher mileage struts would be fine if you're going to beat on the car, but if you want an upgrade for performance handling, the lower the miles the better. Anywhere they use salt I wouldn't get anything over 30k miles. The thing that ruined one of my current struts is the slight corrosion on the strut cap has started to scratch the strut rod which ruins the internal seals.

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was looking at the slight handling improvement as more of a perk, honestly. I do screw around in the mud and dirt every so often so yeah, they're going to take a little abuse, too. These parts are coming from a car in California, the seller says they worked great, no leaks or anything, but he did say there was a little rust. I'm waiting for pictures but I doubt it'll be an issue.

Somebody mentioned an alignment - Is it always recommended to have that done after I install these? I had been wondering about one anyway, my car tracks pretty true, but the wheel isn't straight doing it. It's turned a little to the right.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
stan is correct - you can get brand new kyb gr2s for a little more money. when buying used stuff, you get just that, USED stuff. FYI save up and do it right or you will regret it.

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Checked TireRack and some others, a set of these would run $270. Well out of my price range for now, sorry to say. Unless these could be found substantially cheaper, it's gonna be used SG parts.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
11 Posts
My 04 FXT struts got 120k and they seem to be gone, I will try to get set of the STI pink struts or check out the tirerack for the GR2.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts