Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow....:banana: I had no idea they were like this and the +'s are worse. It's funny, but I do like them. :Banane35: I just have to clean more.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
That weird. I have HPS and I don't really have a dust problem. I must not break hard very often. One of my rears squeeled for a few weeks, but it hasn't made noise for a couple months.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
HPS dusting seems to be hit and miss. I've had them on 2 cars and it was never an issue. Some people say they dust quite a bit.

:confused:

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
That weird. I have HPS and I don't really have a dust problem. I must not break hard very often. One of my rears squeeled for a few weeks, but it hasn't made noise for a couple months.
Same here. Over a few weeks my front wheels get a bit coated, but nothing crazy. My rear wheels stay basically clean always (get dirtier from just road gunk than brake dust).

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
hmm. yeah part of it might be because i treat the cars on the 405 like auto-x cones.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm. yeah part of it might be because i treat the cars on the 405 like auto-x cones.
LOL.. I treat junkies on Jones like the cones in Auto-X...

Kidding... :)

Maybe I went too far and said my rims were red... They are coated however. I have been driving for a week to and from work and bit in between. Both fronts and rears are dustaaaaaaaaay..

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
Same here. Over a few weeks my front wheels get a bit coated, but nothing crazy. My rear wheels stay basically clean always (get dirtier from just road gunk than brake dust).
Thats is weird...............wonder if its a manufacturing issue with the compound......consistancy or something. Make me go Hummmm but I am not expert by any means at all, even on my best day, in the summer, wide awake, with a slurpee (NOT). I would just rather eat sugar........NOT, either.

·
admin
2019 Outback 3.6R ..... 98 Forester S - Atl, GA
6,712 Posts
Mine are no more dusty than stock brakes. :shrug:
But, I'm running 4/2 pot pads.

·
Registered
2013 WRX Limited Manual
563 Posts
I want to hijack this thread. The HPS pads did not come with any anti squeal backing shims (attach to the pad where contact with caliper piston). It does not appear that Autozone/Orielly/AdvancedAuto carry these pieces. Are they necessary? I want to install the pads, but I have never not used the shim kit.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
You don't have to use them. I didn't for some time. Put them in to see if it would get rid of the squeal but it didn't. I have to reapply brake grease every few months.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
178 Posts
For those who don’t like a dust there is Ceramic version too :) And for those with STi brembos I highly recommend DTC-30. They cost little bit more than HP+ but they are a way better than HP+ even better than Ferodo DS2500. They don’t squeak like HP+, less dusty and they bite like hell. Operating temperature is 100F-1200F. They work well for daily driving and also I test them on the track as well.

·
Registered
2018 Forester ∞
219 Posts
Mine are definitely dusting up my 38" rims : ) but not excessively. I think the confidence these pads provide are well worth the "just came back from the ranch" look. There has been no squealing from using these pads on my '98.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Just a note, I just picked up a new set of HPS. They are VERY different to the old ones I had. Now I see what everyone was complaining about with the shims. My old HPS had riveted on shims in the front and stock style shims in the rear. The new ones have cheap glued on shims in the front and the front pads just look much cheaper than the old ones. Rears are still the same as my old ones. Also the new set came in a very long box and the fronts came in a lighter blue box with different graphics from all the other sets I've gotten.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
178 Posts
Just a note, I just picked up a new set of HPS. They are VERY different to the old ones I had. Now I see what everyone was complaining about with the shims. My old HPS had riveted on shims in the front and stock style shims in the rear. The new ones have cheap glued on shims in the front and the front pads just look much cheaper than the old ones. Rears are still the same as my old ones. Also the new set came in a very long box and the fronts came in a lighter blue box with different graphics from all the other sets I've gotten.
Yes they changed to a long box few months ago, actually this is how they come from now on.

As far for shims, well it doesn’t matter if they are attached to the backing plate or not or just glued, they will detach later anyway. Main purpose for shims is NOISE reduction. For example, racing pads doesn’t have any shims at all. Instead there is little bit more meat which is more important than some piece of metal. For me most important is compound.

For example:

Hawk vs Carbotech. Generally Carbotech pads are little bit more easy on your rotors but god good they are gone twice much fast than equal Hawk pads. Price is usually almost same (talking about racing compounds)

Anyway what I want to say is backing plate, shims… not important at all so don’t worry those pads are still good quality pads and they will stop your car better than OEM pads.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts