Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know what you are using or used in the past for your Foresters. Any recommendations or considerations?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Tacoma DCSB Auto
1,932 Posts
Recaro child seat

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts
Anything by Britax, I've used a Roundabout for small children. I think they have come out with new models since then. For my Daughter who is still in a booster I have a Britax StarRiser (I think it's called)

Not only are they highly rated (the rear facing seats have a teather in the front which I like a lot) the bottoms tend to be seat friendly. By that I mean no sharp corners to leave indents in the leather or cloth. Install one and it feels like it's welded in place. My infant one lasted two kids and I passed it on to a neighbor.

http://www.childseat.com/

I found a place to get them at a good price (the ain't cheap but neither are kids) here:

http://brands.babycatalog.com/Britax.html

Some good car seat links for what will fit and what will not:

http://www.carseatdata.org/selectseat.asp

http://www.car-safety.org/

http://www.car-safety.org/carseats.html

Get one of these too:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2760

D

·
0 Posts
I have a Bratix Marathon for my son. This is a GREAT seat that was rated as one of the best by Consumer Reports. As a side benefit it has a wide weight and age range. "Install rear facing for infants weighing 5-33 pounds and forward facing for children weighing 20-65 pounds." This is handy because my son is a pretty big guy. He is 18 months and is wearing 3 and 4 year old sized clothing. This seat should last him for quite a while.

The seat iteslf is simple to install and use. The only issue I had was when rear facing you had to be extra careful when adjusting the seat belts. It has a cam-lock to hold the strap and you have to pull down on the belt to tighten it. When rear facing it is easy to adjust it and not pull down far enough allowing it to loosen.

Now that it is front facing it is awesome. The LATCH anchors work great and the tether is easy to use. The seat also has some little features that make it easy to use like velcro to hold the seatbelts out of the way when putting my son in it.

You can type in Britax Marathon at Amazon to view it. It is well worth every penny. I was going to post the link but it was huge and would make this hard to read.

My daughter has a Graco TurboBooster Youth Booster Seat. It is not just a base. It has a back to properly adjust the shoulder belt. It is also highly rated from Consumer Reports. You can search that at Amazon as well. Same problem with the huge links. :)

I have the Super Mats Peaty links to. The are awesome. The only problem I have with them is the opening for the LATCH anchors is too wide. You will have to push the mat out of the way to anchor the seat. That is very minor though.

·
Registered
05's XT/GT
174 Posts
We use the Britax Boulevard for our daughter. We picked it because it seems to be of better quality than the other brands.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info and links. Are any of these seats the type that can turn into a carry-all or stroller (or attach to one)?

BTW, I can't believe I just used the term "carry-all" LOL.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
I have only bought Britax as they are the only child seat sold in the USA that are up to Sweden's child safety standards.

I have three Britax seats:

In my wifes car I have (1) grey Britax Roundabout

In my mother-in-laws car I have (1) tan Britax Roundabout

In my XT I have (1) Britax Wizard (black and dark blue...looks just like a race seat;))

http://www.britaxusa.com/

Search online b/c I got crazy discounts/deals w/ free shipping...the britax seats are expensive but worth it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
In my car I have the Recaro Start

In my wifes car we have the simpson seat

·
Registered
FXT and Wifes Leggy
481 Posts
DanzBorin said:
In my car I have the Recaro Start

In my wifes car we have the simpson seat
I've been wanting the Recaro seat real bad. I think I'm stuck w/ an Evenflo.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
In my car I have a Britax for Lillian (age almost 2) and a Britax Husky (5 point restraint up to 80 pounds) for Hayden (almost 6). In Carl's car (they drive mainly in my car) we have a Graco something or other for Lillian and a Nania Airway (5 point restraint up to 50 pounds). H is definately old enough for a regular booster type seat that uses the car seatbelt so for his 6th birthday I'll get some sort of Britax booster for Carl's car and for his 7th birthday he'll get one for my car. The Husky is such an expensive seat - although I bought it 2 years ago for only $130 at buybuybaby.com, reduced from $250, that I'm going o get the maximum use out of it. Since Lil's Marathon goes up to 65 pounds she'll probably be able to use that until she 12, at the rate she's gaining.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
VSB XT said:
I've been wanting the Recaro seat real bad. I think I'm stuck w/ an Evenflo.
Just wanted to add that the Evenflo Triumph has equally as good reviews at the Britax stuff but is almost half the price.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
This might be going a little bit off topic but I read that in newer subaru's (or was it future?) the front passanger seat will have a sensor that will determine whether or not to deploy the passanger air bag. I.E If there is a smaller kid sitting there or no one where, it will not deploy.

Anyone know about this?

·
Registered
398 Posts
SenorSubie said:
This might be going a little bit off topic but I read that in newer subaru's (or was it future?) the front passanger seat will have a sensor that will determine whether or not to deploy the passanger air bag. I.E If there is a smaller kid sitting there or no one where, it will not deploy.

Anyone know about this?
legacies already do...

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts
My B9 is like that it has a load cell on the pass seat and a light to tell if the bag is on or off. Still won't put a kid in the front though till they are 13 :)

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
26 Posts
Britax Roundabout here!

I have an Evenflo Titan 5 in the Audi, but the Britax is a little easier to use. That said though I'd recommend either.

I also have this: http://www.kidsurplus.com/sun10500.html
It does a great job protecting the leather and the front pouches are really handy.

D

·
0 Posts
SenorSubie said:

Anyone know about this?
My 06 FXT does this. It even has a lighted message to tell you if the airbag is active or not.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring CVT
1,349 Posts
Just purchased the Britax Marathon using Peaty's link to babycatalogue.

It was $30 cheaper than babysrus and no tax or shipping. Thanks so much for the awesome information. Overall, I probably saved $70 using babycatalogue.

Greg

·
Premium Member
'09 X
370 Posts
Shredmo said:
Just purchased the Britax Marathon using Peaty's link to babycatalogue.

It was $30 cheaper than babysrus and no tax or shipping. Thanks so much for the awesome information. Overall, I probably saved $70 using babycatalogue.

Greg
Don't worry the baby will use the saving very quickly ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
With a baby on the way, there's no way I'm going to let my child into the front seat before they're about 13 years old. It's just not safe!

Not only that, but it's an easy way to avoid arguments about who gets the front seat - "Front seats are only for mommies and daddies. When you're older you can sit in the front, but until then kids have to sit in the back because it's the safest place."

Going a bit off-topic, does anyone know a good place to get the LATCH anchor points for my 01? Are they available from the dealer? I would much prefer to use the anchor points rather than rely on the seatbelt solely.

We're browsing and looking at options for seats. Right now I'm limiting myself to what we'll use for our infant (child seats will come in the future, but I don't want to get ahead of myself). We're looking at all-in-one units with stroller, child seat, and bassinet/carrier dealie all together. Any recommendations? Brands to avoid? My wife has done a lot of reading on the subject (and I'm trying to catch up), but any help will always be appreciated!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts