Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:woohoo: Ok not really...

1) A dripping sound that I can hear at stops. Literally sounds like drops of water are falling by the B-pillar or something. Nothing is wet inside the cabin though... Or is it the cat? Hard to reproduce though. Are there any liquid lines running from the front of the car to the back along the top that could possibly drip down the B-pillar? Somehow I doubt it.

2) A low and quiet knocking sound, in time with the engine, most prominent when I step on the brakes. Can only hear it at idle/at a stop and a little bit at low low RPMs. Comes from behind the dash... brake booster? Can't hear it by sticking my head in the engine bay.

3) There's another major one, being that anything above 45mph will cause a loud cyclical hum, but I need to switch out my tires to fully diagnose since nobody that sits in my car can tell if it's coming from the front or rear (sounds like all over). Could be my re manufactured 4EAT. But I think I'll have a shop diagnose this (IF DAVE FORMAN WOULD EVER RETURN MY CALLS!!! :evilatyou:)

Thanks folks. Appreciate it much!

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
I think about the only liquid lines in the top are if you have a sunroof there is a drain line (not sure of routing).

Most liquid lines are routed on the inside of the car under the lower trim panels on the drivers' side (I took mine out to route trailer brake wiring). The washer line also is included in the bundle and doesn't go "up" until the rear cargo area near the back.

good luck! noises can be a real pain to track down sometimes. i had wheel covers making annoying noises when I first got mine last year. given the reputation of wheel bearings i was a little concerned. since i tow i replaced the rear bearings (at least one of which was actually making some noise ... quieter after replacement). i also replaced front brakes since toy dealer i bought from used had put cheap dusty pads on it. but finally figured out the wheel cover noise issue after no noise on jack stands and another person listened outside the car while i was inside operating to help track the noise down.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the noises are driving me nuts. Sadly, I'm so busy most of the time that I have just ignored these sounds for the past 25k miles. Unfortunately, the last sound has gotten louder and my remaned 4eat's warranty is running out in 1k miles so I HAVE TO get it checked now. :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts