Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The SG model had a pretty long run, from MY 2003 through 2008. While there were evolutionary changes along the way, they were all pretty similar, and we’ve accumulated quite a base of knowledge about them here. Now there’s been a model change to the SH (2009 – ?), it’s selling like hotcakes, and our membership is growing at a similar rate.

Suddenly we’re finding that the tried and true answers from the SG generation might not be exactly right when applied to questions pertaining to the SH. Or that we don’t really know, so we’re reluctant to offer an opinion, one way or another. Not the big questions that can be answered by looking at the specifications, but the little ones that we had developed such understanding of over the six-year run of the SG. Stuff like:
  • Does the SG (SF even) cargo tray fit the SH? A lot of SG people have saved a ton of money by buying SF trays at fire sale prices since dealers think that they’re obsolete when in reality they fit almost perfectly. Can the SH people reap similar savings?
  • Does the SH have a glove compartment light, and if not does it conveniently have the necessary hole already there like the SGs do? If they’re the same, then Peaty has documented the whole process of installing one that should work equally as well on the SHs.
  • Is the DRL controlled by a resistor mounted on the passenger side of the engine compartment? Answer: We’re not sure. One SH owner has reported that he can’t find the darn thing.
  • Do the Hill Holders work the same? Answer: No! The HH on the SGs is a simple hydraulic thing, whereas on the SHs it gets help from a computer.
  • Can I kill my battery by dusting the steering column? Answer: Apparently no. Such a sad break with tradition!
  • What’s the green plug? The yellow plug?
This sort of stuff.

We can’t just ask the SH people, “Hey you, what’s new about your Forester?” unless they might be converts from the previous generation with a good eye for minor differences. We’ve got to get SH people together with knowledgeable SG people and probe some of these matters. Sea-Scooby is already doing this with regard to speaker configurations, and I’ve asked him if he can also check out fitment of the cargo tray when he gets the right people together. The challenge is out to the rest of us—if you’ve been around here for a while, know the ins and outs of the SG, know the frequently asked questions (green plug, yellow plug, DRL, fog lights, etc.), and have the opportunity to get together with SH people, then do some show and tell, some compare and contrast, and above all come back to this thread and let us know what you’ve found.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm willing to go hunting for and measure things on my SH. I was thinking that it should be pretty easy to measure the cargo area to see if the footprint of the cargoliner is the same.

I don't know squat about the earlier gens so I can't be much help for comparisons, but I'm willing to learn about the new one if you have specific questions. I haven't even opened the hood yet (by choice mind you) but it can't remain a black box forever. I should at least check the oil :)

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I'll be checking out an SH for hidden sub options in the next week or two, so I plan on checking out the following:
headrests (09 have that horrible forward lean like the 07+ do, 05 ones are more head friendly).
seat bolts
full size spare
cargo tray
floor mats

and anything else people can suggest.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza
5 Posts
I'm now (as of yesterday) the proud owner of an 09 Premium X to complement my 08 Premium, so since I have both side by side in my garage, I can quickly try things in one from the other if people have specific questions.

·
Administrator
19,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You the man! (the person)

I've listed a few above: cargo tray, DRL resistor, glove compartment light (or hole for same), yellow plugs under front seats for airbag sensors, disconnected green plugs under instrument panel for diagnostic. These are all common questions that come up here, and it would be good to know whether our usual answers are still valid for the SHs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza
5 Posts
I'm too busy moving house to start pulling stuff apart (and my wife will probably block me from messing with the new car for at least a few months). That said, the low hanging fruit:

Cargo tray - the 08's is just all the wrong shape for the 09.

Cargo cover (make these standard again Subaru!) - The 08's is actually too long for the 09, which seems a little weird, until you notice how close to the windows the docks are on the 08. There's no way of getting an 08 cover into an 09. I don't know if the 09's could be modded into an 08, but I doubt it'd be worth the effort.

I'm planning to look into switching the rear view from my 08 to my 09, as currently the 09 is doing all the miles (the 08 already has 15K on it, and I'd rather not knock out the warranty inside of two years). My 08 has auto-dimming, and the 09 just has the crappy one. That said, I may switch it out for a homelink unit, but I'll see how that goes, and whether the units are interchangeable between the two.

·
Administrator
19,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agree! Cars101 is a great reference place. But most of the stuff we're looking for strikes me as pretty well below the threshold of the info you'll find there. We're looking for the tiny (but common) things that seem to come up here all the time.

For example, Cars101 says that 2009s have DRLs. But it doesn't get to the level of saying whether they are controlled by a rectangular shaped resistor with a HOT warning on it, mounted in the engine compartment on the passenger side of the wheelwell, or whether there's something new and different there.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,162 Posts
Cargo tray...

...although it may "kind of" fit in the SH, the SG tray will be slightly shorter overall (although we'll have to confirm this) and especially will NOT fit tightly around the shock towers, since the SH is at least 5" wider between the towers (formerly strut towers) than the SG.

aha...just checked the spec page with the photos and the SH is 35.5" from the tailgate to the back seat; the SG is 31.5". And the SH is 42" wide between the wheel wells, the SG is 37.5". So the 2008 tray will probably drop into the 2009, but will be a bad fit with lots of big gaps....

2009 cargo dimensions:
2009 Subaru Forester

2008 dimensions:
2008 Subaru Forester prices, options, colors, specs, images and more

George

1 - 9 of 9 Posts