Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Big Jay's '05 FX Log

I purchased Lenore in December 2009, with just over 68,000 miles. She's a red Forester X and was stock when purchased with the exception of an extended armrest, which may as well be stock. Most of my miles come from the daily 14 miles to work and back, although I can rack up a good number driving to the ski resorts. I am a loyal Subaru owner, having learned to drive on an '89 GL wagon (although this is my first Forester).

I have a few mods in mind so far (admittedly a few more than I had before finding this forum). The plan is to keep the mods mostly practical and less for aesthetics. I'm not a huge off-road guy, but frequently find myself on some pretty terrible roads en route to some climbing or mountaineering destination. A skid plate and rear differential guard are thus high on my list...

Anyway, I'll document my mods and adventures with Lenore in future posts. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
First Bath

I gave the foz her first bath over the weekend. I used clay for the first time and was very impressed with the result. After a nice coat of wax and some plastic conditioner she was looking d**n sexy. Found a couple spots to touch-up, but I'll save that for another day.

I had planned to take pictures at sunset after I finished up, but the snow started to fall and I left her in the garage. Then some fog rolled in, and I fired up the camera under a streetlight.

If you're curious, I used the LuciusArt SE filter in photoshop on this shot...gives it a bit of graphic novely edge.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD

I got a nice surprise in the mail today! Started with about an hour of daylight left, only to discover I was out of wire crimps. Oops. Luckily the hardware store is close by...apparently the turn signals don't work when the hazard harness is pulled.

I followed the Crutchfield guide posted over on ScoobyMods (sorry, can't post a link yet). The gear shift trim came right out. As expected, the receiver trim panel took a little more work. The worst part though was finding the metal clips to release the climate control cables. I was expecting them to be exposed behind the shift lever, but they are actually all the way to the front of the car...just next to the accelerator on the driver's side. This could be your first step in the installation, before removing ANY trim. Once you find it, the pictures make a lot of sense. Once I disconnected the cables and 3 wiring harnesses, the trim came loose. The stock HU is easy to remove after taking out 4 screws. I crimped the Pioneer harness into a Subaru harness that I picked up a CarToys. Plugged the new unit in, made sure everything worked, and buttoned everything up. Now if only the silver trim was black...

My one complaint is that the DVD player can't be used unless the parking brake is set. Sure, I don't plan on watching it while driving, but maybe my passengers would...silly laws. I think I can add a toggle switch in to trick the override into thinking the brake is set. I might tuck the switch in the ashtray, or in one of the heated seat blanks. I'll keep you all updated...

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,325 Posts
I gave the foz her first bath over the weekend. I used clay for the first time and was very impressed with the result. After a nice coat of wax and some plastic conditioner she was looking d**n sexy. Found a couple spots to touch-up, but I'll save that for another day.

I had planned to take pictures at sunset after I finished up, but the snow started to fall and I left her in the garage. Then some fog rolled in, and I fired up the camera under a streetlight.

If you're curious, I used the LuciusArt SE filter in photoshop on this shot...gives it a bit of graphic novely edge.
Pic looks great. Reminds me of Cyclops from the X-Men.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In-Dash DVD Parking Brake Bypass

A few days ago I installed the Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD into my '05 FX. The unit is designed to only play video when the parking brake is set, but I wired a toggle switch in today that bypasses this feature (for my passenger's sake, of course :icon_wink:).

I picked up a small black rocker switch at Radio Shack for $3 and soldered 2 wires to it. The green one was crimped to the parking brake wire from the receiver and the black wire grounded to the body. I took out the center console and drilled/filed a hole for the switch next to the aux power jack. Now when the blue warning screen pops up when a DVD is inserted, I can simply flip the switch to convince the receiver that the parking brake is set. Very quick and simple fix.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,958 Posts
Your Member Journal is coming along nicely! :cool: It won't be much longer & you can link to a host for pictures. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Window tint done and a pair of Kenwood KFC-1362s speakers in the box waiting to be installed in the rear doors. TGIF.

Pictures to come...Saturday will be the first day that I've seen Lenore in the daylight all week.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Window Tint

Window tint went in last Wednesday. I went with 20% all around. Visibility is excellent, even at night. There are still a couple tiny bubbles, especially around the antenna on the back window, but I'm told these will go away as the water behind the tint film dries.

I wish I had taken better before pictures, but it didn't really occur to me until I got to the shop.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rear Speaker Installation

I found a great deal on a pair of Kenwood KFC-1362S speakers (5 1/4") this week on CL. NIB for only $15. I realize it is a little backwards to install rear speakers before taking care of the fronts, but hey, sometimes you have to react when (cheap) opportunity knocks.

Installation was VERY straightforward. After removal of the two trim pieces, the door panel popped off with little effort. I removed the pathetic stock speaker and replaced it with the Kenwood. I had to drill 4-1/8" holes to mount the new speakers. Comparison of the very dirty stock speaker and the KFC-1362s below:

Door panel with new speaker installed. Nice look at the new tint too.

Currently the pair is powered by my HU (Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD). Sound quality is much improved over stock, although nothing earth shattering. Low end isn't bad, although it leaves much to be desired...that's what a sub is for anyway. :icon_wink: I have a pair of Pioneer TS-A633P's on the way for the front, as well as an OEM tweeter kit...next weekend.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cabin Air Filter

The last project of the day was to replace the cabin air filter. The glove compartment came off in couple minutes (9 screws)...

...exposing the filter hatch.

The change was long overdue.

I used an aftermarket filter from Logical Source. Looks identical to the OEM filter, and is less than 1/3 the price.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The last project of the day was to replace the cabin air filter. The glove compartment came off in couple minutes (9 screws)...

...exposing the filter hatch.

The change was long overdue.

I used an aftermarket filter from Logical Source. Looks identical to the OEM filter, and is less than 1/3 the price.
Time to do mine!

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Front Speakers

Last Thursday a pair of Pioneer TS-A633P's and an OEM tweeter kit arrived in the mail. I couldn't wait until the weekend, so I headed out to my tiny garage with a headlamp to do the install. The speakers went in without a hitch, and I think I've put together harder LEGO projects than the tweeter kit. I spent most of my time trying to clean the insides of my filthy door panels.

One thing that had been troubling me since the HU install was the poor FM reception. Low and behold, the answers to my problems were on this thread: Radio Reception. Spliced the blue wires together and restored reception to my radio. The HU literature listed the wire as 'Powered Remote (or power antenna)'. Guess I missed the 'or' part.

For now, the audio upgrades are complete. I'm very pleased with the overall sound quality that the 3-ways and tweeters put out, even with just power from the HU. A sub would really round out the bottom end...some day. I think skid plates, A/T tires, and a 1" lift kit are next on the list.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Skid plates (3/16" front and rear) came in last night from Paul at Primitive. These things are beefy and look like they could take a beating. Hopefully I'll get the front plate on tonight, and the rear one sometime this weekend. Pictures to come...

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Primitive Plate Installed

Front skid plate is installed...couldn't have been easier. I'm going to need a hand for the rear plate install, so I'm waiting for the next good weekend to get it on.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S

I've put about 1000 miles on these tires and am loving them. Performing well on pavement, snow, and mud. We'll see how they hold up... Now all I need is a 5th matching wheel to replace the spare rim so I can do a 5-tire rotation.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Baby gets a bath...

I couldn't resist washing Lenore after getting home from work with warm temps and 2 hours of sun left. I decided to take the crossbars off the roof too...looks better and is easier to wash the roof. :woohoo:

After the wash I took a few pictures at sunset. A couple are attached below.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4eat
550 Posts
shhh cabin filters are easy money for me! :lol:

but in all seriousness, yours wasnt that bad. ive pulled ones out for the first time at 100k. its fun when you cant tell its a filter, and looks more like a plastic box with leaves in it

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Primitive Rear Diff Plate

I FINALLY got around to installing the rear differential guard from Primitive. It wasn't too difficult to get on, and I managed to do it on my own in less than 30 minutes. I prepped the bolts with penetrating lubricant on Friday. I wasn't able to get my torque wrench in between the gas tank and the two passenger side bolts, so I tightened them with an open-ended wrench. Not sure how essential it is to torque those to 51 (+/- 7.2) ft/lbs...:shrug:

Looks like changing the fluids will be a PITA, and/or require removing the plate. At least I don't have to worry about the rear diff getting snagged on a rock when I go off road.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
I couldn't resist washing Lenore after getting home from work with warm temps and 2 hours of sun left. I decided to take the crossbars off the roof too...looks better and is easier to wash the roof. :woohoo:

After the wash I took a few pictures at sunset. A couple are attached below.

Looks like these pictures should have been used in a Forester sale brochure.:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts