Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
2007 XT Sports Manual
6,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have some very knowledgeable people on this forum and figured I would post up some of my questions in regards to the Legacy suspension....

Subtle Solutions is looking to develop some 1" lift spacers for the Legacy and was wondering what the differences were between model years.

1. Do the (02-07) Impreza "FRONT" top hats match the (05-08) Legacy top hats?

2. Are the Legacy front top hats the same from model years 01-08?

3. Are the Legacy rear top hats the same from model years 01-08?

4. What size studs are on the Legacy rear top hats from (01-08)? The newer (08-10) Impreza has M10 studs.

5. Do the Legacy top hats match the newer Impreza (GR Chassis)? I know the SH Forester and GR Impreza match.

6. Do any of you own a Legacy or have a friend with one and can take a picture of your front & rear top hats installed? I will also need some measurements from bolt center to bolt center of these.

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
I know we have some very knowledgeable people on this forum and figured I would post up some of my questions in regards to the Legacy suspension....

Subtle Solutions is looking to develop some 1" lift spacers for the Legacy and was wondering what the differences were between model years.

1. Do the (02-07) Impreza "FRONT" top hats match the (05-08) Legacy top hats?

2. Are the Legacy front top hats the same from model years 01-08?

3. Are the Legacy rear top hats the same from model years 01-08?

4. What size studs are on the Legacy rear top hats from (01-08)? The newer (08-10) Impreza has M10 studs.

5. Do the Legacy top hats match the newer Impreza (GR Chassis)? I know the SH Forester and GR Impreza match.

6. Do any of you own a Legacy or have a friend with one and can take a picture of your front & rear top hats installed? I will also need some measurements from bolt center to bolt center of these.

Thanks for all your help!
I'm on my second legacy and still unfortunately don't really know any of those answers :icon_redface: I'm still learning about legacy suspension, but I think that there are some definite suspension changes among the different gens though. Even in the 4th gen, the tophats are different between the 2.5i/GT legacy v.s. the Spec.B (which also has bilstein struts instead of KYBs). Hoping TSi+WRX will chime in, he also has an 05 LGT and has been on the legacy modding scene for longer than I have.

I can however help you with #6 tomorrow. I can take pics of the strut tops and get measurements for you. Can you tell me more specifically what you'd want measurements of?

2007 XT Sports Manual
6,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm on my second legacy and still unfortunately don't really know any of those answers :icon_redface: I'm still learning about legacy suspension, but I think that there are some definite suspension changes among the different gens though. Even in the 4th gen, the tophats are different between the 2.5i/GT legacy v.s. the Spec.B (which also has bilstein struts instead of KYBs). Hoping TSi+WRX will chime in, he also has an 05 LGT and has been on the legacy modding scene for longer than I have.

I can however help you with #6 tomorrow. I can take pics of the strut tops and get measurements for you. Can you tell me more specifically what you'd want measurements of?
I wonder if the 4th Gen. Spec B matches the 08-10 Impreza?

Please take a measurement from center of stud to center of stud on the front top hats.

Can you also measure the distance apart the studs are in the rear top hats? And, what diameter they are?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
2007 XT Sports Manual
6,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't remember all the details, but the Spec B tops work on our stock struts with spacers. There's a mod over at IWSTI.

Leads me to believe that the 4th gen BLs and BPs use the same top hats (at least for the front).

Here's a comparison with Spec B/JDM top and regular top:
Group N strut mount install done - Page 2 - IWSTI.com: Subaru WRX STI Forums

Time to ask on LegacyGT Brad!
I think the fronts are the same as the 98-08 Forester, but not the rears. The rears are mainly my concern.

I also want to verify what year Legacy utilizes the the newer 08-10 Impreza & (09-10) Forester (SH Chassis) front top hats.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=774122

From center of stud to center of stud (by stud I assume you mean the "bulge" in the middle of the tophat?) is right around 43.5".

Pictures of front strut tops installed:

Sorry too much crap in the trunk to take pictures/measurements of the rear tophats. Plus its snowing on and off here today. This thread may be of help, has a few pictures of the rear and front tophats installed, both on the car and off the car: Spring swap walkthrough - Tein H-Tech's - Subaru Legacy Forums

LMK if you need any more help.

2007 XT Sports Manual
6,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From center of stud to center of stud (by stud I assume you mean the "bulge" in the middle of the tophat?) is right around 43.5".

Pictures of front strut tops installed:

Sorry too much crap in the trunk to take pictures/measurements of the rear tophats. Plus its snowing on and off here today. This thread may be of help, has a few pictures of the rear and front tophats installed, both on the car and off the car: Spring swap walkthrough - Tein H-Tech's - Subaru Legacy Forums

LMK if you need any more help.
THANKS!

By center "stud" to center of "stud", I meant the dimension from the center of the threaded stud to the center of the threaded stud. All 3 studs should be equally spaced apart.

Also, what model year, chassis code, and trim level vehicle do you have?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
THANKS!

By center "stud" to center of "stud", I meant the dimension from the center of the threaded stud to the center of the threaded stud. All 3 studs should be equally spaced apart.

Also, what model year, chassis code, and trim level vehicle do you have?

Thanks!
No problem! From stud to stud is right around 5.5"

Mine is a 2005 BL (sedan) Legacy GT non-limited.

2007 XT Sports Manual
6,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I have photos somewhere of the struts off the car. Let me look and if I do I will post them. They would be from a 2005 LGT
Ok, cool!

Thanks guys for all the help! I posted on legacygt.com but received 0 responses. : ( More reason why I love the sf.org community.

2007 XT Sports Manual
6,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No problem! From stud to stud is right around 5.5"

Mine is a 2005 BL (sedan) Legacy GT non-limited.
5.5" or 5.25"? My spacers for the 08-10 Imprez and 09-10 Forester measure 5.25" from center of stud hole to center of stud hole.

Can you double check just to make sure? Thanks.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
5.5" or 5.25"? My spacers for the 08-10 Imprez and 09-10 Forester measure 5.25" from center of stud hole to center of stud hole.

Can you double check just to make sure? Thanks.
when the wife gets home with the LGT I will break out the calipers and do some measuring. I couldnt locate any uninstalled photos...

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
Hoping TSi+WRX will chime in, he also has an 05 LGT and has been on the legacy modding scene for longer than I have
:icon_redface:

You think too highly of me, bruddah.

Unfortunately, I haz no Kung-Fu when it comes to teh suspension. :icon_cry:

I learn by doing, and this is, aside from an improper "spring drop" for aesthetics only (given that I don't participate in any motorsports with this car - it's my pure and true daily-driver, and I drive like a grandpa 99% of the time! :icon_razz:), I have yet to touch the suspension of this vehicle.

Sadly and embarrassingly, I am of no help, here. :icon_redface:

Subtle, I agree - the BL/BP changes are very, very confusing to track.

Although you're already receiving great help here, I would recommend that you cross-post this question to LegacyGT.com's Suspension/Brakes-specific sub-Forum, to be complete.

Best of luck! :smile:

2007 XT Sports Manual
6,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Subtle, I agree - the BL/BP changes are very, very confusing to track.

Although you're already receiving great help here, I would recommend that you cross-post this question to LegacyGT.com's Suspension/Brakes-specific sub-Forum, to be complete.

Best of luck! :smile:
I posted over there on Monday, but still have not received 1 reply back!

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
:icon_redface:

You think too highly of me, bruddah.

Unfortunately, I haz no Kung-Fu when it comes to teh suspension. :icon_cry:

I learn by doing, and this is, aside from an improper "spring drop" for aesthetics only (given that I don't participate in any motorsports with this car - it's my pure and true daily-driver, and I drive like a grandpa 99% of the time! :icon_razz:), I have yet to touch the suspension of this vehicle.
TSi, could you measure the front top hat bolts like I did and confirm that they are 5.5" or 5.25" apart?

I posted over there on Monday, but still have not received 1 reply back!
I noticed you did not post in the Suspension/Brakes sub forum over there, but in the 4th gen general chat section. Perhaps if you get a mod to move it to the right section you will get more responses?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts