Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought home my '10 Forester (XT Prem) with manual seat and am already finding that my right leg is uncomfortable where it leans against the console.
This is a common problem for me as I am 6'3' tall with a long 34" inseam. I would like to do some hack to gain more leg room. I haven't looked under the seat yet, but thought I'd first ask you guys if there are any ideas out there for my situation. I've managed to get more leg room out of at least 6 cars in my life, and I'm not afraid to modify things to work for me.

Ideas??

Thanks, Bob

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
I'm 6'-7" with a 36" inseam. I have the driver seat all the way back, and I have it slightly raised.

May be just me, but I find the legroom to be just enough. The combination of legroom and headroom -- even with the moon roof -- is a major reason why I have this car.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2010 Forester
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm 6'-7" with a 36" inseam. I have the driver seat all the way back, and I have it slightly raised.

May be just me, but I find the legroom to be just enough. The combination of legroom and headroom -- even with the moon roof -- is a major reason why I have this car.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer
Jim....No problem with the right let against the console???? You're really lucky. Bob

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
Really? I'm 6'2 220lbs, also wear 34 x 34 Levi's and I don't even put my seat back all the way. I've never noticed it to be uncomfortable, but everyone is different. Congrats on the purchase, though, and welcome to forum. You'll get it worked out. Where there's a will there's a way.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester
114 Posts
Bobiam, I have MAJOR problems with the right leg and console on my 2010. I had to resort to extreme meaures. I am working on a long post with photos about how I have made changes to the driver's seat - including the console. I don't recomended this for everyone, but it made the car driveable for me, which it really wasn't on long distances.

The lack of knee room is really a PAIN with the hard plastic on both sides. This almost made me sell the car for a 5,000 loss within the first week. I’ve partly solved the problem by putting on a volleyball knee pad on the left side. It is held in place with duct tape. Not pretty on a 2010 car, but it makes it drive able. I don’t know why all cars aren’t made with padding where a guy’s knees hit the sides unless they just want to cut corners on comfort.

6) The right side has been harder to pad. I tried taping computer mouse pads to where my knee touches when I drive. But, it did not give enough knee pain relief and pushed my right leg too far to the left. It made me use more muscles on the accelerator. This caused major aches my legs and feet after driving for about 100 miles.

I found out that a new plastic center console is only $116. I also checked to see what was beneath it. I popped out the old one, got out a hack saw and sawed off a 6 inch section of the plastic where my right knee hit.

Then, I covered the 6 inch section with duct tape and several mouse pads. I can rest my right leg in a comfortable driving position. The console is secure with the layers of mouse pads and duct tape. Not pretty, but driveable and safer since I don’t get cramps in my legs on long drives with the extra 3 inches of knee room.

I am 6.1 and I've had several back and leg surguries. I've tried a number of different pad materials. Volleyball knee pads and computer mouse pads have the best support and comfort. Just add color coded duct tape. You will NEVER be without a conversation topic with a rider.

I will post a longer message and photos tomorrow. That will give some folks a little time to get used to the idea of someone taking a hacksaw to the console of a 2010 Foz. But, it makes it driveable for me when I go over 100 miles. I drove about 250 today and the right knee was fine. No leg cramps either.

Steve

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester
114 Posts
An easy thing to try in a 2010 Foz is putting a volleyball knee pad over the emergency brake. Put the cushion part next to your thigh.

It won't interfer with using the brake, but it will move your right thigh to the left. That will actually ease the pain from your right knee hitting the console.

An earlier poster mentioned having side padding added to the seat. Try this first. It will do the same thing as side padding a lot cheaper ... if you don't mind answering the question of why you have a knee pad on your emergency brake.

Leg comfort is much more important to me than what other people think about my car.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
Jim....No problem with the right let against the console???? You're really lucky.
Bob,

I'm "aware" that the console is there, but it doesn't seem to be a problem for me in this particular car. Maybe I've just gotten used to this issue after driving for 40 years, although it is indeed a "deal breaker" problem for me in many other cars. In fact, my wife and I took our Forester on a >6K mile trip in August, and I was surprisingly comfortable for the entire trip.

Oddly enough, my wife, who's 5'-8, wasn't able to drive more than ~2-1/2 or three hours because she couldn't find a comfortable seat position. I was sorry that she was uncomfortable, but, deep down inside, it really didn't bother me that she couldn't drive for very long... :icon_wink:

Best of luck to you!
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2010 Forester
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bobiam, I have MAJOR problems with the right leg and console on my 2010. I had to resort to extreme meaures. I am working on a long post with photos about how I have made changes to the driver's seat - including the console. I don't recomended this for everyone, but it made the car driveable for me, which it really wasn't on long distances.

The lack of knee room is really a PAIN with the hard plastic on both sides. This almost made me sell the car for a 5,000 loss within the first week. I’ve partly solved the problem by putting on a volleyball knee pad on the left side. It is held in place with duct tape. Not pretty on a 2010 car, but it makes it drive able. I don’t know why all cars aren’t made with padding where a guy’s knees hit the sides unless they just want to cut corners on comfort.

6) The right side has been harder to pad. I tried taping computer mouse pads to where my knee touches when I drive. But, it did not give enough knee pain relief and pushed my right leg too far to the left. It made me use more muscles on the accelerator. This caused major aches my legs and feet after driving for about 100 miles.

I found out that a new plastic center console is only $116. I also checked to see what was beneath it. I popped out the old one, got out a hack saw and sawed off a 6 inch section of the plastic where my right knee hit.

Then, I covered the 6 inch section with duct tape and several mouse pads. I can rest my right leg in a comfortable driving position. The console is secure with the layers of mouse pads and duct tape. Not pretty, but driveable and safer since I don’t get cramps in my legs on long drives with the extra 3 inches of knee room.

I am 6.1 and I've had several back and leg surguries. I've tried a number of different pad materials. Volleyball knee pads and computer mouse pads have the best support and comfort. Just add color coded duct tape. You will NEVER be without a conversation topic with a rider.

I will post a longer message and photos tomorrow. That will give some folks a little time to get used to the idea of someone taking a hacksaw to the console of a 2010 Foz. But, it makes it driveable for me when I go over 100 miles. I drove about 250 today and the right knee was fine. No leg cramps either.

Steve
Steve....
That was a drastic solution, but I can understand. For years I've wondered....What's with these vertical consoles?....most have nothing in them but air and are a terrible restriction. It's just a style over comfort thing.
Check out what I did last year to my Porsche Boxster....It has a removable section of console that is bolted to the base rather than the dash board. Porsche has a replacement section of console to fix our problem. Check the photos and not the distance between the shifter the "console" in both pics. Cost...less than $150. Thought you would be interested.
In our case, moving the seat further back would accomplish a lot.

If only the Forester were this easy.....
Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Forester
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AAAAAgahhh! :icon_eek:

You cut up a Porsche. :chair:
No, no, no.... The vertical section of the console unbolts and is removable with little trouble. It contained a disc stg unit (4 discs!), a sound system accessory and an open stg cubby. The unit that I installed covers all of the under dash stuff that was then exposed. I also had an aux Porsche amp thing relocated to the face of the new piece as shown in the photo. Cool retro look and plenty of knee room. This device was stock on the earlier Porsche GT3 which is their street legal lean and mean 911. It's still all Porsche.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked over the under seat area and found that the seat can be practicly moved back around 1 3/8" further . It would entail removing all rivits fastening the seat tracks to the floor mount (legs) of the seat on all corners. It looks like plates can be made of 1/8" steel that will need to be welded on 3 of 4 legs that would support the tracks and bolts replacing the rivets. There may be some reasonable alternatives to this but will require more thinking, and will be just as much work. This will raise the seat by the eight inch as well.

I've got to sleep on this and think of how to make it easier.

Other ideas will be welcomed.

Interesting note....when the seat is adjusted fully forward, the driver would need to be around 4' 5" tall! The way that I see it, there are are a lot more guys around that are 6'2"+ than there are 4'5" people!!!!!!!

Bob

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester
114 Posts
I like you Bobiam! I wrote last month asking about moving the seat back. No one thought it was a good idea. Maybe your method will get more responses.

I am still working on my post and photos of the changes I've made to the driver's seat. I am up to 2,000 words now and editing it down. I will post it tomorrow.

You write that he seat all the way forward is perfect for a 4.5 person? Sounds like a Japanese woman to me! I know it's hard designing a car for the range of human bodies.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XE Diesel
47 Posts
I am 6.3 (190cm) and have no problem. I have the seat pretty high (since there is lots of head room) and I pull up the front part of the seat as well to provide rest for the legs.

Maybe, by going forward rather than back, you will find your knee in a better position? I get my knee in the console on most other cars and the Volvo S40N is something I have difficulties driving (the car my better half is using).

I was almost surprised when I didnt have a problem in the forester (MY10), but then again I have the seat pretty far forward for my length. I find it more comfortable to be further forward when driving a manual.

I have the electric seats and I dont know if the manual can make your seat higher. If not, maybe that is the mod you should be looking at - something that makes the seat higher.

I hope you find a good solution to the problem!!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like you Bobiam! I wrote last month asking about moving the seat back. No one thought it was a good idea. Maybe your method will get more responses.

I am still working on my post and photos of the changes I've made to the driver's seat. I am up to 2,000 words now and editing it down. I will post it tomorrow.

You write that he seat all the way forward is perfect for a 4.5 person? Sounds like a Japanese woman to me! I know it's hard designing a car for the range of human bodies.
Photos should be interesting. You really went radical. Another idea that I have is making a steel plate that would be fastened to the 4 leg tops wiht flat head bolts so that the plate only adds the thickness of the plate. Then the seat can be mounted on it anyway you want. Just a thought!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am 6.3 (190cm) and have no problem. I have the seat pretty high (since there is lots of head room) and I pull up the front part of the seat as well to provide rest for the legs.

Maybe, by going forward rather than back, you will find your knee in a better position? I get my knee in the console on most other cars and the Volvo S40N is something I have difficulties driving (the car my better half is using).

I was almost surprised when I didnt have a problem in the forester (MY10), but then again I have the seat pretty far forward for my length. I find it more comfortable to be further forward when driving a manual.

I have the electric seats and I dont know if the manual can make your seat higher. If not, maybe that is the mod you should be looking at - something that makes the seat higher.

I hope you find a good solution to the problem!!
Thanks for the point of view. The manual seat has height adjustment but not tilt for the seat pan. But I'll give thought to you ideas when I look it over again soon. The front could be raised, but not easily....whould entail removing a few rivets and adding washers and longer bolts.

By the way, what kind of miles per gallon (or liter??) do you get with that diesel? What's your HP?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bob and Steve,

Though I'm quite a bit taller than you, I don't find the Forester uncomfortable, but I think I might understand your troubles. I've noticed that the seating area can be unsupportive for longer legs because our knees are bent at a 90 degree angle, but not supported from below, so our legs either dangle freely (held in place with muscles) or must rest against the sides of the cockpit. The trouble is that there are only hard bits to rest our knees against.

In a sports car, the seating position is low, long, and narrow, so our more fleshy thighs are supported by the seats and the side walls and knees don't have to rest against anything.

Would the Forester be more comfortable if the seats supported your legs from the sides and bottom? Or would your legs need to be straighter, as with a lower and longer seating position?

I've never actually tried to make a car more comfortable because I fit in so few of them, but I'm interested in your results because it would be nice not to have to base car buying decisions on whether or not I fit in them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts