Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 6'4". When driving my Forester I find my right leg resting on the console. Well, after about an hour my whole leg and butt becomes numb. Does anyone expereince this problem or have any solutions?

Please don't reply with "don't rest your leg against the console."

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Best medicine = CRUISE CONTROL :p

Also, every hour (or sooner) of long driving I push off the dead pedal to fully extend my left leg and lift my butt out of the seat...help to relieve the body.

I drive 3 hours to PA (one way) every week so you do what you can to relieve your body.

·
Registered
2005 LGT Limited wagon
553 Posts
do you go up 95? i'm about a 1/4 mile off of 95 in maryland. i'm right by the second to last bridge you go under in maryland (route 213). the last exit in maryland (elkton, md./newark, de.) is pretty close to me as well.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking of getting some foam. Like insulation board, cut to a strip and placing it near the left corner of the console's bezel. I think this may keep my leg from getting numb. I have this problem with all cars since they started installing freak'n air bags.

·
Premium Member
2003 XS 4EAT
112 Posts
Phew! *wipes forehead* I thought I was the only one with this problem. I feel better now, but my leg still tingles after a long drive. I'm 6'-0".

·
Mr. July 2008
1,216 Posts
I'm 6'1" and my knee cap is usually resting against the side of center console... it drives me crazy (no pun intended).
higgledy said:
I am 6'4". When driving my Forester I find my right leg resting on the console. Well, after about an hour my whole leg and butt becomes numb. Does anyone expereince this problem or have any solutions?

Please don't reply with "don't rest your leg against the console."

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CadZan said:
Phew! *wipes forehead* I thought I was the only one with this problem. I feel better now, but my leg still tingles after a long drive. I'm 6'-0".
I just wish the car was a little roomier in key places. If we never mention it, Subaru will think everything is great and not change anything. Believe me the short people will ***** if they could not reach the pedals.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,437 Posts
I think Subies are built with short to medium tall guys in mind...

men = shorter legs, longer torso
women = longer legs, shorter torso and arms

I'm only 5'6" but my legs are always somewhat cramped if I move the seat forward enough that I can comfortably reach the steering wheel. :(

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pleiad7 said:
I think Subies are built with short to medium tall guys in mind...

men = shorter legs, longer torso
women = longer legs, shorter torso and arms

I'm only 5'6" but my legs are always somewhat cramped if I move the seat forward enough that I can comfortably reach the steering wheel. :(
...built with the Japanese in mind. German cars USED to be sized just right for us giants. Nowdays German cars are more cramped than Japanese cars. But I guess if the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese...

G

·
I'm 6'5" and I have the same problem with my right leg on longer trips (2006 XT manual). I think the foam padding idea sounds good, I just have to find some that doesn't look horrible stuck to the side of the console. :grin:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mikef said:
I'm 6'5" and I have the same problem with my right leg on longer trips (2006 XT manual). I think the foam padding idea sounds good, I just have to find some that doesn't look horrible stuck to the side of the console. :grin:
That is difficult. Also, if the foam is to thick, it will take additional space from leg-room. I love everything about my Forester except the lack of leg room. If I had money, I'd find a good machine shop to custom design a seat rail to allow the seat to slide back as far as possible.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
2,939 Posts
Hmmm......what am I missing? I'm 6'5" (starting to shrink, though, as I approach 60) and have no discomfort at all....in fact, the Forester is the most comfortable car that I've ever had. Has something changed in the 06 model??

Maybe, I'm just sitting in an odd position but I have never had any issues like you describe. Mind you, i can always use more legroom but the Forester is the least that I'd accept for now. Of course, I never have anyone in the rear seat.

Steve

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
toysbyus said:
Hmmm......what am I missing? I'm 6'5" (starting to shrink, though, as I approach 60) and have no discomfort at all....in fact, the Forester is the most comfortable car that I've ever had. Has something changed in the 06 model??

Maybe, I'm just sitting in an odd position but I have never had any issues like you describe. Mind you, i can always use more legroom but the Forester is the least that I'd accept for now. Of course, I never have anyone in the rear seat.

Steve

It may be your porportions. I think I am "all legs" you may have a longer torso and be less leggy than I am so you may not have the same issues.

The Forester is one of the few cars out there that I find semi-comfortable. I also like the Buick Lucerne, outside of it fatherly appeal, is a price tag I caould not swing at this point in my life. I'd love to have a full-size pickup or full-size SUV but cannot afford the gas payments.

If I could remove the console the Forester would be perfect for me. Anyone got recipro saw I can borrow? :)

G

·
toysbyus said:
I'm not sure if it was different in earlier models. The problem is with my right leg resting against the plastic console. This is by no means unique to the Forester, but the console seems to be made of a harder material than other cars I've owned. Putting the car on cruise control and repositioning my leg solves the problem, but that's not always possible. It would be nice if the driver's seat would go all the way back to the point where it's up against the back seat, which I almost always have folded down anyway.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
You mean this?

idk, I'm only 5 ' 11 and I think its alright ( I havent measured my height since freshman year, maybe I've grown a bit)

I think once you get past the 6'2 mark you might start to get into trouble

Does anyone know what they really size the car for? an average "american 6 foot male"?

G

·
BlueDevil said:
mod the tracks or make an adapter plate to reposition the mounting points of the seat.
Hmm I'll have to poke around under the seat a little. I'm more of a software guy though.. :D

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
2005 X
1,325 Posts
I did 1,600 miles from L.A. to Houston nonstop in my RS. After that trip every farkin thing hurt, and I'm 5'11''

1 - 20 of 28 Posts