Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5-speed MT
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week we had a big storm in Northern California, dumped a lot of rain in the Bay Area and a little snow (it was a warm storm) in the High Sierra. By end of week the three trans-Sierra passes which are normally left uplowed over the winter (Ebbetts, Sonora, and Tioga) were open and I was planning my annual end-of-season motorcycle trip. One day, Saturday, about 500 miles round trip from my home in the SF Bay Area. I mentioned this to a friend at work, and to cut a long story short, we ended up going together, in my FXT with it's new Primitive skidplates. It was mostly pavement of course, but I did a few miles of offroad "lite" around Mono Lake. Some of the lesser used roads by the lake have a fairly tall center ridge (or deep ruts, depending on how you look at it) and the skidplate gave me a lot more confidence to maintain entertaining speeds. I also crossed Lee Vining Creek, which was running pretty fast due to the runoff, and felt some good-sized clunks as river rocks were thrown up. Some of the remaining front underbody plastic (wheel well liners and the little front spoilers on each side) were a little more dangly after a few runs across the creek for the video camera. BTW anyone who has a chance to get up there in the next few week - go! The colors (aspen, willow) are amazing.

-dman

Attachments

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
Beautiful colors, nicely captured! My husband and I were hoping to make it out there this fall for a little road trip, but unfortunately it might not come to pass this year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts