Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
09 wrx
1 Posts
The problem is if you use them for turn signals they will flash fast, like if you had a bulb burnt out. The resistance is lower on the led than regular bulb. I bought some resistors at rat shack, it worked but they (resistors) got hot. Made me nervous, I took them out. I did this 5 years ago maybe some has a better system now?

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
The problem is if you use them for turn signals they will flash fast, like if you had a bulb burnt out. The resistance is lower on the led than regular bulb. I bought some resistors at rat shack, it worked but they (resistors) got hot. Made me nervous, I took them out. I did this 5 years ago maybe some has a better system now?
You could just replace the blinker relay.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
Anyone have any experience using LED bulbs such as this in their brake and stop lights?
Those specific ones don't look nearly bright enough. :frown:

But some of today's available solutions will put out more than plenty of power (i.e. SuperBrightLEDs, VLEDs, Oznium, etc., all offer a wide selection of "high-powered" solutions) :biggrin: - however, whether they will provide enough power in all directions, as well as whether they'll be suitable for a constant-on application (i.e. for rear-fog use or for a low/high setup, where the light is at one brightness for markers and parking, and then at a brighter level for when the brakes are tripped or the signal activated), due to heat-sinking requirements....that's another question.

I haven't looked at anything for a year or so, now (at the time, I could not find anything acceptable for my needs) - so I am not updated enough to give you any specific recommendations. :icon_redface: Undoubtedly, one of our other brothers or sisters here will be able to! :smile:

And in terms of the "hyperblink" or dash-error-light concerns, like jred and toddlamp mentioned above, both resistor blocks/packs (which will get somewhat warm-to-hot, depending on the specific solution you choose, so mount/place them with-care) as well as replacement blinker/flasher relays will easily solve those problems. :smile:

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,155 Posts
Right, though it's because the resistance is higher, not lower. Current is lower. A resistor of the right value in parallel will cure the problem, but it does indeed get hot. Think it through - to fool the flasher into thinking that there's actually a regular bulb there the resistor/LED combo has to pull the same amount of current as a regular bulb. Which means that it will dissipate the same amount of heat as a regular bulb.

You can get around the problem by installing a special flasher that is not troubled by this situation. Many of the places that sell LEDs also carry the flasher, though I don't recall ever seeing any reports here from somebody who has installed one.

Side dispersion is important in parking/tail/directional light replacements. It looks like the one you found has addressed that problem.

Other sources are described in my sources thread. At least some of them do carry the special flashers.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
Side dispersion is important in parking/tail/directional light replacements. It looks like the one you found has addressed that problem.
^ I agree....

But do you think that it's going to be bright enough? <----honest question. :smile:

And to further that line of thought/questioning:

What are some current LED replacements that are bright enough to serve as brake, signal, or reverse-light units - as well as the constant-on consideration of, say, rear fogs?

Nearly two years ago, I tackled my rear fog project, the brightest non-custom (even when I was deep in the flashlight hobby, I realized the limits of my skills, and relied on my friends to create the stuff I wanted :icon_redface:) solution on-market, a 3W side-emitting star, came with the caveat that it would shut-down upon thermal overload. That was not acceptable for me, as in the case of rear-fog applications, the device would certainly be constant-on, for perhaps hours on end. With that limitation, I ended up with a paired 21W standard incandescent rear fog element (identical to JDM OEM for that application, for my specific vehicle), paired with a self-made set of "SMT" LEDs, ones without the thermal concerns, to enhance "dead-on" illumination.

So, what I wanna know is what's out there, now - and are they able to serve properly in these critical roles? :smile:

·
Premium Member
2010 Forester XT 4AT
11 Posts
Did you get them? If so, did you like them? I am looking at the same thing.:icon_question:

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,087 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts