Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of putting in some LED sidelights as the bog standard normal ones do not seem to be that bright compared to other cars.

Anyone have any suggestions for which models work in an 01 fozzie. I read on the web that cars with a CANBUS diagnostic systems do not recognize the LEDs. Is this correct?

cheers
ubdai

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Its rubbish, models with blown bulb detection (which may or may not have CAN) will flag a failed bulb though.

I use multi LED's (about 8) in the front of mine, had them for years, nice bright whitish blue light.

Simon

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,570 Posts
Its rubbish, models with blown bulb detection (which may or may not have CAN) will flag a failed bulb though.

I use multi LED's (about 8) in the front of mine, had them for years, nice bright whitish blue light.

Simon
Have you got any pics of them?

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
. I read on the web that cars with a CANBUS diagnostic systems do not recognize the LEDs. Is this correct?
cheers
ubdai
It depends on what the threshold of the CANBUS is set at.

the CANBUS looks at the current draw of each lighting circuit, and if it drops below a certain point, the CANBUS will throw up a failed bulb.

eg.

a standard 5w bulb draws about 450mA and an LED draws only 30mA. so this will flag up a failed bulb fault, even thought the LED may be shining bright.

you can get around this by fitting a resistor in-line before each LED.

OR

there are now LEDs out there with resistors built in especially for CANBUS fitted cars.

SKODA ROOMSTER 07-08+ 501 SIDELIGHTS NO CANBUS LEDS on eBay (end time 23-Apr-10 02:56:33 BST)

Hope this helps

Frazer

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
my car doesnt have bulb fail lights fitted, its too old!.... i have no idea if the new foresters have it fitted, but that is how CANBUS works in a nut shell, regardless of what car /machine it is fitted to....

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
nope, CAN -BUS is nothing to do with bulb fail. It's an internal interface protocol between the various control units...

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
nope, CAN -BUS is nothing to do with bulb fail. It's an internal interface protocol between the various control units...
on the Subaru?.... or in general?

why (in most applications) does "blown bulb" light throw up a Can-bus fail error if it has nothing to do with the CAN-bus?

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
I'd guess that's possibly on Mutiplexed systems where individual lamp units are addressed over the Bus. Dunno, never seen it.
I've had bulbs out on both the SH and the wife's late 307 (full multiplexed, can/can) and never had a fault. The SH is pretty low-tech tbh, there's plenty data sent around the Bus but I'd reckon the body computer isn't much more than a bank of relays with a fancy driver. It's addressable by SSM3 for configuration, but doesn't output that much data of it's own...
There's certainly no requirement for one, just because the other is present; bulb fail systems have been around since the eighties, CAN-BUS is rather newer.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Agree with dpm, bulb failure recognition (on the wifes 93MY Celica) ad nothing to do with a car having CAN or not.

CAN is just a communications protocol for multiplexing contorllers onto one circuit for sharing information, bulb failure detect is done on currenta nd on modern cars the bulb failure may be reported on CAN to the IP (instrument pack) to display the information.

As an aside a 2005 BMW 7 series has 3 CAN systems with a total of 128 controllers on them, remembering one controller can output a number of messages, the EMS typically 5 or 6.

Simon

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of them fitted to the car and switched on?
The reason I am asking is that some of them do not give a uniform light in all directions but only from the front.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
I have them style on my van (when its not in the repair shop!) they have lasted over 2 years.... which is probably longer than anything else on the van!

·
Registered
2018 2.0 XT Lineartronic CVT
71 Posts
I bought some last year with 3 LED on the lamp head (Item number: 350272202382) however one starting flickering after only 4 months. Binned them and bought these . . .

eBay Item number: 280484458578

A bit fiddly to install but fit ok in MY06 XTEn and give better brighter forward light aswell as sideways. No errors or warning lights anywhere:biggrin:

·
Registered
2018 2.0 XT Lineartronic CVT
71 Posts
I bought some last year with 3 LED on the lamp head however one starting flickering after only 4 months. Binned them and bought these . . .

eBay Item number: 280484458578

A bit fiddly to install but fit ok in MY06 XTEn and give better brighter forward light aswell as sideways. No errors or warning lights anywhere:biggrin:
fpan . . Trying to send you a link to pic's but system says your inbox is full:icon_question:

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
fpan . . Trying to send you a link to pic's but system says your inbox is full:icon_question:
Emptied now :biggrin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts