Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru STI 6 Speed Manual
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just noticed an interesting issue with my headlights and fog lights. I realized when I turn on my headlights the radio goes all static. The previous owner installed LED headlights and I’m kinda figuring it ya something to do with that.

The other issue it when I turn on my fog lights the high beam indicator also turns on and not the high beams. Anyone runs into these issues before too? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,918 Posts
Sounds like you inherited the prior owner's wiring "enhancement" problem.
The LEDs are likely putting out some RF noise from their power supply and need shielding so the radio doesn't pick it up.
If the fogs wiring are stock, there is a light that shows up in the dash for the fogs and you can't turn on the high beams.
Let me guess - The guy didn't go that route and rigged up something he did on his own that didn't work.

Any access to the prior owner to find out?
If you want it to work like stock, you could always install the stock switch and relay, and provided the guy has not totally bastardized the wiring harness it should be a simple fix. It's pretty hard to say otherwise what someone did who didn't know what they were doing...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m planning on going back to stock bulbs. These LEDs don’t work very well in halogen housings. I haven’t gotten the chance to investigate the wiring situation. I’m planning doing that today or tomorrow.

When I click on the fogs the high beam indicator turns on. Is that supposed to come on? I always thought fog lights had their own symbol.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,918 Posts
You are correct.
In stock configuration, when you turn on the fog switch on the turn signal stick, there is a dash light that comes on for the fogs, but the fogs will not come on with the high beam lights. The high beam light should just be for the high beams.

The stock switch on the turn signal switch also uses a relay that has a spot whether or not the car came with fogs.
It is so easy to use the stock parts, it amazes me that people do their own wiring when most of what is needed is already there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm. I’m going to have to see how things adjust after I put halogens back in. As of right now, without turning on high beams, the high beam symbol appears when fog lights are turned on even tho high beams are off

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update! I switched out the LED to halogen bulbs and all the issues resolved themselves. Thank you those for your input!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts