Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
01 UK S-Turbo AT
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Further to recent posts re interior bulbs, does anyone know what the load on the circuit and the battery is like using these LED ultra white ultra bright things instead of traditional filament type bulbs. I now have 5 on the go inside the Foz :) Didn't like the blueish tint in te sidelights so switched back to 'dirty orange' :banana:

Mike

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,732 Posts
Experience with the dome and map lights (31mm festoon) shows about 50-75 ma for LEDs and over 600 ma for incandescents. I'm not sure that these are the lights you're describing, but I'd think that the ratio of currents would be about the same in any substitution of LED for incandescent.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,732 Posts
Lots, lots less load. That's why LEDs let us get away with the 'map lights come on with dome light' mod. Keeping the stock incandescents would put a 3-bulb load of almost 2 Amps onto the dome light controller. We don't know what the controller is actually capable of driving, so this would not be a good idea. There's even been one report here that would seem to say that a member fried the circuitry by doing this. But swap the incandescents for LEDs and you're coasting well under the limit, and you've even got headroom to install additional LEDs for footwell lights, puddle lights, and the like.

'Edited for a smelling pistake' it says on your post? The only complicated word there is my name, and that's from Yorkshire!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts