1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Premium/Manual
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched the forum, couldn't find an answer:

2009 forester 2.5x Premium,

I want to open the rear hatch while camping/tailgating/whatever, and have all the dome lights go off. The cargo light and 2nd row light have a slider for forced off/forced on/Door open on. But the front seat dome lights are staying on...I don't see a slider or option to force them "off". I must be missing something! This HAS to be an option on a Subaru, right?

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
I was installing speakers yesterday and noticed after a set amount of time with the front doors and hatch open, the lights will cut off! It was pretty cool. I didn't even notice till I put the key in and the lights all came on.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Premium/Manual
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, but there's got to be a better way than just waiting for the battery-run-down to kick in and kill the lights, right? It's not uncommon for folks to leave the gate open while doing outdoor activities.

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
Yeah, but there's got to be a better way than just waiting for the battery-run-down to kick in and kill the lights, right? It's not uncommon for folks to leave the gate open while doing outdoor activities.
What? No it doesn't kill the battery. I mean, you're talking about what, maybe 8 interior small lights and leaving them on for 5 minutes or less.

To your bold comment:
Bingo! I would assume that's why the all cut off after short period of time. I wonder if that only works with the hatch open....

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Premium/Manual
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks ZapWiz,
that's the switch I was looking for, but apparently the 2009s don't have it! At least they fixed it in 2010, but seems like a pretty obvious design flaw. I ended up finding the forum for how to manually disconnect the auto-on feature for the map lights

ww.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/2009-how-shut-off-map-light-door-open-43357

Have to open up a body panel, will try it this weekend. Yeesh.

Cuddles, thanks but I was saying that there should be a better way than just waiting for the car's battery-protection feature to automatically kill the lights; I want the control to turn lights off or on myself.

·
Registered
2009 X Limited
141 Posts
Thanks ZapWiz,
that's the switch I was looking for, but apparently the 2009s don't have it! At least they fixed it in 2010, but seems like a pretty obvious design flaw. I ended up finding the forum for how to manually disconnect the auto-on feature for the map lights

ww.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/2009-how-shut-off-map-light-door-open-43357

Have to open up a body panel, will try it this weekend. Yeesh.

Cuddles, thanks but I was saying that there should be a better way than just waiting for the car's battery-protection feature to automatically kill the lights; I want the control to turn lights off or on myself.
I have a 2009 and this was one of the first things that I did. It's actually not too difficult, maybe 5~10min. I think some people have gone the route of taking the glove box off, etc (at least that's what I did the first time :icon_razz:). The second time, I just unscrewed the plastic nuts at the base of the footwell for the plastic piece near the door and carefully bent it back to reach the plug that needs to be disconnected. I say "2nd time", because I added my own switch and reconnected the circuit so the lights would come on with door open if I wanted.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Premium/Manual
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You added your own switch to give the map lights the option of turning on with the door, or setting to forced-off mode? That's exactly what I want. Can you post your instructions or pics of how you did this, where you mounted the switch, etc? Thanks!

·
Registered
2009 X Limited
141 Posts
You added your own switch to give the map lights the option of turning on with the door, or setting to forced-off mode? That's exactly what I want. Can you post your instructions or pics of how you did this, where you mounted the switch, etc? Thanks!
I basically followed this writeup. The picture with the wires was very helpful - I printed it out as I was soldering. :icon_biggrin:

Photos of my install can be found here (see image 7). I put the switch for disabling the map lights on the backside of the sunglass holder. Afterward, I realized that I could have put it inside the sunglass holder for a cleaner look as I did for the new footwell lights. Cheers! :Banane35:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts