Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid CVT
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The steering wheel in my 54 reg XT is very tatty (and shiny). I was thinking of replacing it with a leather one. I know these were made as an accessory for the earlier S Turbo and the XT. before I start looking, does anyone know if I need a specific s/wheel for the XT, or will an earlier one from an S Turbo fit? Also, do I need to look for one with the cruise control switch fitted or are they all the same?

I would like to keep the airbag. Any advice from someone who has done this job would be much appreciated.

Regards,

HectorG

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
and what year was your car again?

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,885 Posts
Hector, you need to update your profile 1994 is a bit off :biggrin:

The XT came with a leather steering wheel so yours must have been badly treated.

Seriously though, and not to push them too much, you may be able to get a direct replacement one (MY03XT) from Forester Subaru - Subaru Parts, Subaru Spares, Subaru Breakers at the moment.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Don, I've updated my profile - well spotted!

I'm pretty sure my 2.0 XT does not have a leather s/wheel. When the 2.5 XT was introduced they upgraded to a smaller wheel with leather rather than vinyl.

I've come across s/hand steering wheels in the past that were not specific to a particular Subaru model - particularly the aftermarket versions. I just wondered if the S Turbo / earlier 2.0 XT steering wheels were pretty much interchangeable or whether I had to be careful to look for something more specific like a 2003/4 model, bearing in mind that I want to re-use the airbag.

Regards

HectorG

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,885 Posts
Hector as per my post above.

Here is the spec sheet for the MY04 which is the same as the MY03 except that the engine came with AVCS.

Unless yours is not a 2.0XT variant it came from new with a leather steering wheel.....

For the MY05 they changed the wheel from a 4-spoke to a 3-spoke version

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don, I stand corrected.It's obviously worn very shiny which is surprising in 53000 miles.

Thanks for your input.

HectorG

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,885 Posts
No probs, probably cleaned at sometime with the wrong cleaner.

Mines still like new after 110,000 miles

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
Sorry to jump on this thread, but does anyone know if it is possible to fit a later year wheel with the stereo controls to an MY04?

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,885 Posts
Sorry to jump on this thread, but does anyone know if it is possible to fit a later year wheel with the stereo controls to an MY04?
one of many good threads to read........................
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/05-sti-steering-wheel-cruise-swap-into-04-xt-9043/

added

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/08-10-sti-steering-wheel-installation-pictures-65171/

If you go too late MY you may run into airbag charge problems - lots of threads re: this

1 - 10 of 10 Posts