Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 FXT Touring CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2017 FXT Touring with the saddle brown leather seats, I'm just wondering how they hold up with big dogs on them. I'm coming from a Tundra that had gray leather seats and my 90 lb dog didn't mark them up with his nails. I assume they would hold up like my Tundra seats but I'd rather have a heads up before I have him mark up my new seats. Not sure if anyone is using any covers or any other recommendations.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,784 Posts
I don't have a 90lb dog [Oliver is just 25lbs] but have had him and other pups in my Forester Limited w/leather without any issues in 5 years.

I would suggest investing in a decent dog blanket or similar and keeping that in the car. When you take the dog out, tuck the blanket over the seats [and in between the cushion and backrest] jusypt to be sure. When not traveling with the dog, fold the blanket up and tuck it away.

I have a couple of blankets in the car always. One is a heavy dog blanket I picked up about 15 years ago [or older?] from Costco - it's faux sheepskin fleece on one side and the other is a sturdy fabric ... I also have leashes that are specifically made for travelling with dogs - they bave a buckle about mid-way along the length that clicks into the seat belt receiver and keeps the dogs in place - whether in front or back.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Touring XT CVT
187 Posts
I have the saddle brown as well with 3 dogs (english bulldog, a frenchie, and a goldendoodle). I picked up a back seat cover to protect the seat only because I am not a fan of the leather quality. It's just too hard which means it could probably mark up and scratch easier. Not taking a chance. You might want to hunt around for a seat cover that looks ok and suits your needs since there are so many styles, colors, etc etc. Just do a Amazon search and you will see what I mean, heh. GL!

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i Tour CVT
313 Posts
my wife had a 2009 Forester with leather and when we sold it in 2016 it was starting to tear between the 'holes' in the leather from our 80# dog.. i think it was his toe nails digging in..

I would get some sort of canvas cover.. I picked one up off amazon that was a very close match to the saddle brown seats - but they dont offer it anymore

Brian

·
Registered
2017 FXT Touring CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the replies! Looks like I am going to pick up some seat covers and throw a blanket in the car. I agree the leather feels hard and that's what worries me.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
552 Posts
also make sure you have loads of fabric softener sheets hidden throughout the car. I have a full box with a few holes in the box under the front seat..Keeps the odors down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts