Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 05 Forester has 80000 kms on it and the head gaskets are leaking The dealer tells me this is very common but because the warranty ran out 4 months ago they won't cover it. Anyone else have this problem? I have heard of a class action lawsuit in the US is any interested in starting one in Canada?

·
Registered
04 x
71 Posts
I actually had this problem happen just this week and my car is being repaired as we speak. The cost was about 1000-1200 for the job plus a timing belt and an oil change.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Our 05 Forester has 80000 kms on it and the head gaskets are leaking The dealer tells me this is very common but because the warranty ran out 4 months ago they won't cover it. Anyone else have this problem? I have heard of a class action lawsuit in the US is any interested in starting one in Canada?
What steps have you taken to get this rectified? Just listen to the dealer and walked away? Or have you tried Subaru Canada to see if there is any redress? And have you tried to get other prices, that $3,000 CDN seems a bit high.

BTW, posting this on multiple forums will not help it get resolved. Saw your post on CTC, I will respond the same there too.

I hope that you have all the records for the services, these would help in your negotiations with Subaru. But go over the dealer for sure. All they can say is no, but they may offer some assistance. And please keep us informed as to how it goes.

·
Registered
2005 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leaking head gaskets

Thanks for all your suggestions, Yes I have spoken to Subaru Canada any they deny that there is a head gasket problem with these cars and point out that the cars warranty ran out in November. Our local Subaru service manager says that there is a huge problem with these 2.5 engines unless they are turboed where they use better gaskets. He has a system worked out where he uses aftermarket gaskets , new head bolts and an anti seize compound on the threads to prevent false readings as the bolts are being torqued they want $2400 to do it without replacing the timing belt. A local shop with a very good rep wants $3000 with the timing belt...maybe I should try to drive it to NewHampshire If anything changes I will post it here!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts