Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2009 Forester with 4k miles on it last year. At the 22,250 oil change my very reliable mechanic informed me that the head gasket is already leaking. Not a lot...YET. Because the head gasket is covered by the 60k power train warranty he recommended that I wait past the 36k warranty period to replace it because he said sometimes newer, better replacement parts are created on down the line. But I am really mad and unhappy that this is already happening to my nearly new car.

I am so very disappointed that I bought this car. The brakes locked and slipped on snow many times this winter, which my old Subarus never did. I've had four consecutive Subaru wagons--last one an Outback--since 1987 and absolutely love them and recommend them to everyone but I had to buy something different this since because the wagons changed the back seat configuration in '05 so it no longer goes flat. I am so disappointed with the Forester--mpg, handling, and now this.

Anyone else have this head gasket problem? What does Subaru propose to do about it?

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
sorry. my 2004's getting Multi Layer Shim design gaskets this week at 86k. bad gasket design subaru, bad design. :icon_frown:

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
At the 22,250 oil change my very reliable mechanic informed me that the head gasket is already leaking. Not a lot...YET. Because the head gasket is covered by the 60k power train warranty he recommended that I wait past the 36k warranty period to replace it because he said sometimes newer, better replacement parts are created on down the line.
I'd have that noted on the work order.

·
Registered
2003 Forester X Auto
947 Posts
As for the slipping and locking up of your brakes in the snow, I would look at better or dedicated snow tires. It all depends on what tires yours came with, but the Geolanders are notorious for being really bad in the snow. They lose traction easily, which will cause your ABS brakes to engage more often than what you were previously used to.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
932 Posts
lol go Subaru ;) if I blow my HG under 120k this will be my last subaru will go back to honda after that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts