Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been offered the above - anyone know what standard bhp / lbs ft figures are..? And also if it will fit? been done before?

Bueller....
Bueller....

Bueller....

Anyone....?

Anyone....?

·
Registered
97 JDM S/tb Manual
1,570 Posts
ummm that will be a non turbo????

Legacy turbos IIRC where all 2.0lt twin turbo(apart from the last ones) you'll be looking at 280bhp and a lot of plumbing for a late 1990's one. Not worth it.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,614 Posts
Why don't you go onto the Legacy Owners WEb Page.

Very nice people>>>almost as nice as us>>:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Regards

AM

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Late 90's 2.5 is NA only as stated
Change was from DOHC to SOHC at 99MY.

Both around 165bhp.

Mate has a 99MY ex IMG Leggy 2.5, if its a 99 he'll know everything about it.....

Simon

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What was the benefit in a 2.5 non-turbo, considering they also had a 1.8 T, NA and Turbo 2.0 litres as well? Now they're back at 2.5l again across the range! OF COURSE, it's a non-turbo! IE pointless. Good shout on the figures guys and I'll check out the legacy guys forum. Always fancied a legacy saloon. mate has a lovely late 97, silver, leather, manual, 64k, wants about tuppence ha'penny. Sh*t second car for us though - missus wants an FRV or a Polo :( How do I convince her?

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
benefit of 2.5 non turbo? Well more power and torque than a 2.0, cheaper to make than a turbo (similar power to the turbo's in EDM SF's) and about as economical.

1.8T was the old ea82 engine not the EJ family, last built in 1993.

2.5 is far from across the range, JDM turbo's are still 2.0, we have 2.5's to achieve emissions compliance.

Simon

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
positively a font of knowledge as always. interesting. thanks. you're right about J/E/UK DM cars and their variation. seems a bit daft that in this "global" age we are all driving different cars based on 'local' emission laws, where all our emissions contribute to THE single most important global 'issue', doesn't it?

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
positively a font of knowledge as always. interesting. thanks. you're right about J/E/UK DM cars and their variation. seems a bit daft that in this "global" age we are all driving different cars based on 'local' emission laws, where all our emissions contribute to THE single most important global 'issue', doesn't it?
What, Cheese...? :crazy:

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:) brilliant :))

no, I meant cheap airline travel and the benefits of an unregulated global free-market economy, obviously!!! bring back the tories! maybe. not. or maybe..?

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
we are all driving different cars based on 'local' emission laws, where all our emissions contribute to THE single most important global 'issue', doesn't it?
Emissions in this case was the 'regulated pollutants' CO/HC/NOx, not the so called 'emissions' of CO2 which is just a byproduct of the amount of fuel burnt, not the quality of combustion or aftertreatment (catalyst).

The EU test cycle is different to the US is different to the Japanese (the rest of the world uses one of these or mild variations from it) and thus dictate different responces (why we have had 2 cats on all our cars here while the japanese just had a catted D/P for example).

As an example, when I worked on Supercharged Range Rover, it passed Japanese and US no probs as the Japanese cold test cycle is easy with very high limits, while the US cycle has an aggresive first acceleration that puts lots of heat into the catalyst very quickly, the EU test cycle requires rapid catalyst heating but has a very gentle and short first acceleratuion, we could get the cat active and then it would 'go out' again during the following idle, after about 3 weeks of testing (2 cars twice a day, say about £500/test!) we (credit were credit is due, I not we :icon_biggrin:) finally found an innovative solution.

Simon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts