Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I have an 04 Forester and have been scouring the Forster/Subaru (outback etc) sites about how to open the door latch when the latch at the doorpin is stuck shut. To start off:

1. I have removed the driver side front doorcard (I did this with the door stuck closed) and can access the door mechanisms.
2. Power locks more the interior door lock knob as does turning the key in the external lock
3. With the door in the unlocked position, using the exterior door handle and the interior door handle/latch does not release or open the door.
4. I can put my hand on the steel rods from the exterior door lock and the exterior door handle and verify they move when using the key and external door handle. I've tried moving them through the usual manner and also using a pair of piers to move them vigorously in an attempt to release the door latch down at the doorpin.
5. I have also looked at the back of the interior door handle to ensure when opening the handle the wire attached to the back is moving.

Having tried the above, I believe that the doorlatch down at the door pin stuck in the closed position and isn't springing open through the use of either interior or exterior door handle. The door is closed and I can't get it open. I have to replace the driver side front door latch, but all the service manuals say to do this by opening the door and... But, I can't open the door... My question is how to release the latch so I can open the door and then replace said latch??? I'm trying to flip the latch using a pick but so far no luck. Not sure if there is another method or release mechanism on the latch itself that is accessible from inside the door (since the doorcard is off).

I've read as many threads with door related problems but most of them have been solved once the doorcard is off and by simply moving the steel rods directly (But in my case that isn't releasing the latch).
I"ve been working on this for about a week and it is driving me nuts!!! Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks,
JLK

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drivers door will unlock at door handle but latch at door pin will not open/release

Yes, it is the drivers door that has the issue. The driver door will unlock at the internal door handle using either the manual unlock button, or electonic lock/unlock button, but the door handle on both the inside and outside doesn't release the latch at the door pin.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5MT
7 Posts
It seems like if you have taken the panel off you should be able to manually actuate the door mechanism through the cable from the interior door. Maybe these will help?

door mechanism

window regulator

Maybe you could access the door loop mounted on the body from the inside of the B-pillar by removing some trim?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Door still stuck shut...

@cldalncguy6 thanks for the reply. Since I've got the door panel off (also called the door card), I have been able to manually move the metal rods connected to both the exterior door handle and door lock. I have also removed the two metal cables from the interior door lock and handle and both move freely. Unfortunately, moving the metal rod that would usually open the door and the metal cable that that would normally do the same job via the interior handle, nothing actually releases the latch mechanism the door loop/door pin mounted on the B Pillar. Sigh.

I've put an inspection camera inside the door and followed the cable and rod down to the latch mechanism to try and see if they are either detached or if there was some other way to to pop open the latch mechanism from inside the door assembly, but I haven't found anything.

I've also taken two local Subie dealerships and they say this is an unusual situation and no one can (or is willing to disclose any secrets to get the latch mechanism to release if the normal actuators/cables aren't working at the latch mechanism itself.

A while back, I did take off the trip on the B Pillar and can see the back of the D Pin screws, but couldn't figure out a standard way to get them out (other than drilling them out) so I haven't done much more from that angle, but it's been over two weeks of climbing in and out of the passenger side door, so maybe I'll take a look at this tomorrow.

Sigh, I'm beginning to consider retiring my 04 Forester.... 197K, don't know if I'll be able to get it to 200K as I had hoped.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,031 Posts
@jkane1517 perhaps an auto body shop would know how to get the door open? :confused:

Was the door acting strangely before it stopped working?

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts